Chapter 1

"Kryselis! You're going to be late for school if you don't get your lazy butt out of that bed!" I hear my mom say as I roll over and groan

"I'm up!" I yell back as I crawl out of bed. "Barely. "

"Why must you wait until the very last minute to do things?" Mother asks as I walk into the kitchen.

"I wait because it doesn't take me very long to get ready. All I need is five minutes and I'm done." I say taking a bite of my apple.

"Right." she says sarcastically sitting down across the table from me. "Anyway, try to hurry so you won't be late." She says looking over her glasses at me. "Just in case."

"Sure. " I respond as she looks back down at her phone. Probably to continue reading emails from work like she does every morning.

Mom's a single mom. Always has been since I was born. She rarely speaks of my father. Only when I asked and only certain questions she'll respond to. All she says about him is that he was a nice, handsome man. Strange and mysterious in ways. He was there one day and was gone the next. Just disappeared. Sounds like a typical one night stand kind of situation but it wasn't.

Not for my mother anyway. She's not one who takes to one night stands. She's only been with my father and isn't keen on the idea of being with different guys she hardly knows. Don't get me wrong, my mother is a very attractive woman and has been on many a date. But never has she slept with one of them. She's not looking for anything serious right now and wants to focus on me and her job. That job being a lawyer.

Lettie the Lawyer as I call her. But never to her face. She's a damn good lawyer too. Hardly ever loses a case. If you didn't know her you wouldn't know her to be a lawyer. She's very sweet looking on the outside. She has long dark brown hair that's naturally wavy, big round light brown eyes that look gold in the sun. A small button nose with pouty lips that compliment the rest of her face. But you don't want to get on her bad side. If looks could kill, she'd be queen. She does her best to provide us both with a decent life though.

We may not live in a big glorious house with two stories and five bedrooms with two or three bathrooms, but what we do live in is home

It's a small quaint two bedroom home, seeing as there's only the two of us that's all we really need. It has a decent sized living room, big enough to fit the couch and love seat my mother has had since I was a baby. They're outdated, but it's the little things that make a home a home.

Our kitchen is a little smaller than the living area with an attached dining room. Out bedrooms are off to the right side of the house with the bathroom separating the two. Mom says it's not the more you have that makes a person, but it's how you value what you already have that makes you.

"What?" She asks, catching me looking at her.

"Nothing. " I say getting up. "I'm going to head to school since your so worried about me being late. " I wink and smile at her. "Love you. See you later. " I say heading out the door, only closing it when I hear her say

"Have a good day."

"I will." I say to myself and make my way to the school.

Hey guys and gals, sorry this chapter is so short! This may start off slow in the first 2 or 3 chapters but I promise it gets ALOT better!

Remember to comment any of your opinions and let me know what you think! I reply to all comments!

Thank you so much for the support and remember, hit that star button and vote!