Chapter 8: Famous last words

QUEEN AMBERLY

I start crying. She saved me. The girl that my son used to love, the girl I said could call me mom, the girl that I was willing to think of as a daughter, the girl who had changed the country forever, had taken a bullet for me.
She puts a hand on my trembling one.
"Run." It's barely a whisper, but I hear it. Right. They still have guns. Don't let her sacrifice go to waste. I sprint to a saferoom, the whole time thinking about America.

AMERICA

After the queen leaves, Maxon comes to me as fast as possible. Everything's hazy. I must have lost a lot of blood.
"You run... t-too" I cough out, thinking on how it would feel to die knowing your love hasn't forgiven you.
"No. America, I'm not leaving your side!" He says, his voice slowly rising into a yell. "I... I'm sorry, America. I forgive you. I-"
Before he can finish, I take all my remaining strength and kiss him.
"My love, take your time. I'll see you soon enough." And with that, I go unconscious. I think he thinks I'm dead. Nice going, America.

MAXON

She's gone. Despite my fight, a guard manages to drag her to the infirmary. I don't try to sugarcoat it.
America is dead.
The past few days, I rarely leave my room to do anything. I have dreams that I'll walk to her room, and she'll tell me that she loves me, and then glare at me when I call her 'My dear'. I think about the first night we met. I think about the feisty red-head that yelled at a prince. And I think about how much I still love her.
Sometimes, when I walk around the castle, I swear I see her spying on me from around the corner.
I will never move on...
~~~~~~~~♡~~~~~~~~~☆~~~~~~♡~~~~~~~~