Eight: Is It Too Late to Become a Hooker?

⚜ ⚜ ⚜ ⚜ ⚜

A twelve-year-old was running down the stairs. "Mom!" she shouted.

When she heard a response, the girl entered the kitchen, plopping down on a chair.

"Can we talk?" she asked, reaching for a cookie.

"Um, yeah, just a second," her mother answered, taking her third batch out of the oven. She threw the mitten on the counter and went to the fridge to pour her daughter some milk.

"Here you go," the woman said as she sat down and gave the child the glass. "What's bothering you?"

"Thanks. Well, I was wondering," she started, tapping the glass nervously. "You know the whole soulmate thing, right? But can we like other people? Is it allowed?" the girl brought her eyes up to look at her mom.

"Of course, we can. Falling in love with your soulmate is not a rule. Some people are actually happier with non-soulmates," her mother answered, surprised by the question.

"But the sky won't open if it's not the one you're destined to be with?" the child was dipping the cookie into her milk before taking a bite

"It won't, but," the woman paused to taste a cookie, "when you're in love you don't even look at the sky, sweetie. All that matters is the person by your side. The sky is just there to remind you of them, when you're apart."

"Okay. I understand. Thanks, mom," the daughter smiled cheerfully.

"So, are you going to tell me who you like?" her mom asked curiously.

"Of course," the girl started excitedly.

⚜ ⚜ ⚜

Money always seems to be the issue, doesn't it? There's never enough to buy yourself happiness. Stop thinking it can't be bought. It really can.

Being a scholarship student was beneficial, but it had its downsides. The government paid for Ophelia's education and she even got some money every month to cover her expenses.

It just wasn't enough, though.

The girl sighed as she checked the amount of money on her account. Barely enough to take the bus to university every day. Ophelia didn't want to take money from her mom, since she already lived here rent-free. Half of her monthly income was spent on groceries every week. That was the deal of her staying at her childhood home. May would never admit how lonely she would feel to be alone in the house anyway.

Ophelia needed a job. This thought had been running through her mind for the last few months. The thing is, nobody wants an inexperienced college freshman. The only job she could land was a barista at her local coffee place, but even there she couldn't make the hours work with her schedule.

As embarrassing as it is, Fel never had a job. Not in high school, not over the summer. Throughout her school years, she would constantly get money for taking first place in different contests. It was more than enough to go out occasionally. It was high school, the girl didn't have a single worry.