Chapter Two: Treasure Bound /Part One

Start from the beginning

"I'm not telling you," he retorted. "You Elves think you're so high and mighty."

"Grand words from one whose stature," Dahari looked Caston up and down, "is sadly lacking."

"I don't trust sorcery. You're manipulators you are. Bending the will and mind of people to suit yourself."

Dahari took a menacing step forward, towering over the Gondorian, murder written across his pale face. Caston took a step back.

"Manipulator, sorcerer, liar, freak, demon, spawn of The Dark Lord, Sauron reincarnated, murderer." Dahari smiled bitterly. "I've heard it all and more. But know this; the only thing I'll be manipulating is where your blood flows and how much pain you'll feel as it runs over your ruined and tattered flesh if you dare insult me again."

A heavy silence followed the grim words. Caston swallowed hard and looked away from those dreadfully cold eyes. Deep down he knew the Elf meant every word and would not hesitate to spill his guts if he so desired. Anger flared red-hot in Caston's chest. With as much defiance and dignity he could muster he looked Dahari straight in the eyes.

"You don't scare me," he spat. Dahari crossed his arms.

"No, I don't. I terrify you. If you can't control your fear, what's out there," Dahari nodded to the vast expanse of ocean, "will stop you dead." Dahari turned away. "Where do I sign?" he asked almost cheerfully.

"This way," Fendwall said tightly. Livian and Calen watched them go, eyes wide and mouths agape. Oros whistled softly and patted Caston's arm.

"Come on, boy, forget the water. I've got something else in mind for you. Livian, Calen, you get the water on deck."

"Aye, sir!"

Stomach clawing and rolling uneasily, Caston followed Oros to Brandt and Adrahil. Calen glanced back, but Fendwall and Dahari had disappeared. She shook her head.

"Cheerful that one is."

"Downright chipper," Livian agreed. "Freak," she whispered under her breath, glancing in the direction the elf had disappeared.

Across the ship Oros called for Brandt. The hardy black-haired man jumped up and jokingly saluted Oros.

"Here, Captain. What do you need?"

"Show this land walker the ropes."

Brandt gave a little half bow. "Right, Captain. I'm teaching Addy some basic knots. Caston can join us over there." He gestured vaguely toward Adrahil who was frowning over a series of complicated looking knots. Caston thumped sullenly over to Adrahil and plopped himself down.

Oros grabbed Brandt's arm before he could walk away. "Try to keep him away from the Elf. The boy's got a special kind of hatred for them."

"The fellow who just came on with Fendwall?"

Oros nodded.

"I will, Captain. I was thinking about staying away from him myself. Don't know what Fendwall was thinking bringing him on here. I ain't seen a meaner looking person in years."

"Fendwall has his reasons and I trust his judgement. He has a way of seeing through people unlike any I've seen before," Oros said confidently.

"Let us hope that is true."

...

"Fly the sheets!" Fendwall bellowed. The White Raider shuddered as the sails rippled down. The halyards creaked. Suddenly they were moving out of the harbor with the tide. Es watched in fascination from where she stood by Oros at the wheel.