Chapter 2 - New kid

Aurora Secondary School is like any school, except the angels I guess. Angels favour this island because it is not too hot and not too cold, it is private and something just seems to attract them here. Only the big Archangels and warrior angels live in the city on the mainland. But there are no little angels - like they cannot have kids or something. Some like to teach, but there are never any who are students.

Mr Melbourne is the coolest angel you will ever meet. He broke his wing in a way that could never be repaired correctly; ultimately grounding him. So he took to teaching and sharing his stories and vast knowledge. His hair is silver, and so are his wings. But they have specks of grey, almost like he is old. But he does not look a day over 30. Some would say he suits silver hair, some would say he doesn’t. I just think he is an awesome guy who has a cool sense of humour; considering most angels are quiet and secretive in sharing an ounce of information about them.

Walking into my first lesson of History with Mr Melbourne, I situate myself in the back corner hoping to avoid all attention. Jessica is the school slut. Of course I would never tell her that to her face. Gosh no. That would be a death wish, one not even my birdies could save me from. But she cannot resist picking at me; which is why I cringe when she sits in front of me.

“Hey, bird whore.” She says in her everyday greeting. Flicking her bright blonde hair with that annoying smirk that she thinks makes her look pretty but actually make her look as if she is sucking a lemon.

Taking a deep breath, I proceed to get out my pencil case and books. But Jessica is an attention seeking bitch, so I was stupid for hoping today would be the day she would leave me alone. 

“Hey you whore! When someone says hello you at least acknowledge them! You’re so rude!” She screeches, garnering the attention of the entire class. She swings her arms, sending everything on my desk flying everywhere and everyone laughs. As I am about to get up to pick it all up, a dead robin is thrown at me. It bounces off my temple and lands on my desk with a thud. Its red chest is darker in some places and its eyes are dull and lifeless. Suddenly I feel its pain as if it is my own, squeezing my chest in a tight grip making it difficult to breathe.

 A hand on my shoulder wakes me from my sorrow, Mr Melbourne looks at the bird in pity. The class is silent and I see his wings twitching. A clear sign of his rising anger.

“Who did this?” His voice bellows in the quiet class. They remain silent. He crouches in front of me and looks into my tearful eyes. “Who did this?” He asks more softly.

I look up and see Jessica glaring daggers at me. Mr Melbourne notices and stands up in a graceful move only angels can accomplish with big wings on their backs.

“Jessica, go to the Head Teachers office. You have embarrassed this school in front of our new student.” He says calmly, but you cannot miss the hidden fury in his voice. 

She huffs, but does as she is told. At the mention of the new student everyone looks towards the front of the class room. Mr Melbourne delicately picks up the robin and strides to the window, I finally look at the new student. And Wow!

This guy puts angels to shame. His blue eyes look as though they are glowing and they take in everything as he scans the class room. You cannot miss the coldness in his gaze, it's chilling. His black hair looks like it is tipped with blue and is just long enough to run your fingers through. He is the same height as Mr Melbourne maybe even taller which makes him roughly 6’3.

His black shirt hugs muscles that clearly took his entire teen-hood to build, with black jeans that cling to his thighs and no doubt a firm butt, they are faded at the knees giving them a used, washed out look. His boots just complete the package. Yum.