Chapter One

Bishop gazed drowsily into his tankard of ale, only half listening to the raven haired woman beside him as she recounted an adventure from her youth. He grunted now and then in acknowledgement, but he had the feeling that he could fall asleep right there on the bench and she would go on talking anyway. Bishop had to admit, however, that he quite liked the sensation of her silky hair against his bare forearm and her scent had drawn him to her from the moment he'd walked into the tavern, more intoxicating than the cheap ale he'd been drinking all night. She had paid for his dinner and drinks, and he knew from the way she'd found any excuse to touch him from the moment she'd sat down beside him, that she'd be sharing her bed with him tonight as well. He was accustomed to sleeping in the woods, beneath the stars and in the elements...but sometimes a soft bed and a warm body were a nice respite.

At the counter, a local man by the name of Rowan was talking animatedly with Johan, the innkeeper of Vilemyr Inn. Bishop overheard the words "legend" and "dragons". He tilted his head, trying to pick up more of their conversation, but was distracted by slender fingers tracing the lines of his jaw. He realized the dark haired woman had stopped talking and was now gazing at him with an unmistakable hunger in her eyes.

"It's so cold outside, Ranger," she purred as she traced his lips with her fingertips, "why don't you come to my room? I'll keep you warm tonight."

Bishop caught one of her fingers gently between his teeth and grinned at her sharp intake of breath. He met her gaze. "Darling, you read my mind," he said.

It was still dark when Bishop rose the next morning. He moved quietly as he searched for his clothes in the dim candlelight, careful not to wake the woman who slept soundly in the bed. He looked down at her as he retrieved his pants from the floor and pulled them on. Had she told him her name? He couldn't remember. Had he told her his? He had no idea. She wasn't quite as ravishing as she'd seemed a few hours before, but she was pretty, in that provincial, peasant girl kind of way. He pulled on the rest of his clothes and gathered up his gear and his boots, then moved on silent feet to the door. The woman murmured something suddenly and Bishop froze, his hand on the brass door handle.

"Mmm, I'm to be married today," she muttered, "fetch me snowberries for my hair, will you?"

Bishop raised his eyebrows, "married, hm?"

"Mhm," she rolled over and covered her head with the blanket, "he's a bard. He writes songs about me."

"What a lucky man," Bishop said dryly as he opened the door, no longer concerned with stealth.

"Snowberries, please," she said, sounding as though she were drifting off again.

"Right," said Bishop as he left the room, "I'll get on that."

He shut the door behind him, chuckling to himself. Lynly, who had risen early to bake bread for the day, caught his eye from behind the counter and raised a curious eyebrow. Bishop shook his head.

"Just thinking about how fickle women are," he said with a smirk.

Lynly snorted, "you're one to talk, Bishop."

He leaned on the counter and gave her a wolfish smile, "jealous?"

She shook her head, "idiot. Would you like some breakfast before you begin your daily walk of shame?"

Bishop laughed, "who's ashamed? No thanks, songstress, I'll be hunting today."

"Speaking of which," Lynly said, glancing around, "where's your wolf?"

Bishop shrugged, "he's around. Wouldn't come in with me last night, so I assume he had business elsewhere. He'll find me. Always does."

She was shaking her head, a little smile on her lips, "if I didn't know better, I'd say you and he were littermates, born to the same she-wolf. The only difference is that Karnwyr is housetrained."

"Have I done something to annoy you especially, Lynly, or are you just feeling particularly feisty this morning?" Bishop teased.

"Just a little friendly honesty," Lynly said, a genuine smile on her face now. She nodded towards the door, "will your lady friend be joining you on your hunt?"

Bishop shook his head as he pulled on his boots, "I very much doubt it. She'll be late for her wedding."

Lynly frowned and opened her mouth to speak, but Bishop waved a hand, "relax. I didn't know until this morning."

As he made his way to the door, Lynly narrowed her eyes at him, "if she'd told you last night, would you still be slinking out of here now?"

He didn't answer but grinned at her before going out the door into the icy morning.