Chapter Thirty-Three

A/N: Thank you so much for your votes, comments, adds, and follows! See you Thursday! <3

A few potions and one hour later, Aruna was back on her feet and ready to rejoin the living. Though Bishop had suggested she stay and rest a while longer, Aruna adamantly refused.

"I'm fine, ranger," she said. "Besides, I promised you dinner, remember?"

"Stubborn woman," Bishop muttered as he followed her out of the barracks.

The Winking Skeever was so crowded when Aruna and Bishop reached it, that people were drinking outside, the front doors propped open with chairs occupied by more people. When Aruna approached, some of them recognized her and called out to her. She smiled at them as she and Bishop made their way inside. Every table was full, as were the stools at the counter. Bishop saw the innkeeper, Corpulus, busy behind the counter, and his son Sorex helping him. It looked as though they'd also recruited some help from the Bard's College, as a few women and men moved gracefully through the crowd, singing while they brought food and drinks to the tables.

By the fireplace, there was a crowd of people gathered around someone. Aruna edged closer out of curiosity and caught a glimpse of the bard from the wedding, now dressed in royal blue velvets and satins.

"Pff," Bishop snickered beside her. "Who's this guy supposed to be?"

A young woman at the edge of the crowd turned to him, an incredulous look on her face. "Surely you've heard of Alec?" When Bishop and Aruna only stared at her blankly, the woman made a frustrated gesture and prompted, "the Prince of Song?"

Aruna shook her head and Bishop rolled his eyes.

The woman looked at them in disbelief. "You must be new to Skyrim. Alec is the most famous bard in the entire country. It's such an honor to have him here in Solitude. He's going to tour the Bard's College tomorrow." She smiled and turned back, standing on her toes to catch another glimpse of the bard. "I wonder if the Headmaster will allow us to play for Alec. I would love to get some pointers from him on my lute!"

"I'm sure you would," Bishop muttered. Aruna elbowed him in the ribs.

"Dragonborn!"

Aruna and Bishop turned to see a red-faced young man squeezing through the crowd, his eyes on Aruna.

"Pardon me, my lady," he said with a hasty bow. "But Vittoria Vici would like to speak with you."

Aruna frowned. "Is everything all right?"

"Huh?" the boy looked confused momentarily. "Oh! Oh, yes...my lady just wishes to thank you in person for the service you performed earlier today. She was concerned that you might have left the city already, so she sent out several servants to find you." He smiled. "As it was me, I'll have the night off for a reward. I thank you for that, Dragonborn."

Aruna laughed. "My pleasure. All right, then. Where might I find Lady Vici?"

The boy told her that Vittoria awaited her at the Temple of the Divines, then gave a polite bow before scurrying off.

"I hope there's a healthy amount of gold included in this visit," Bishop said as they made their way to the door of the tavern.

"I'll just be glad to get some food afterward," Aruna replied. "I'm starving."

The streets seemed to be even more packed with revelers than the night before and Aruna soon found herself separated from Bishop. She plunged ahead, knowing he'd eventually catch up. Finally, she found herself at the doors of the Temple. A guard standing outside nodded to her and opened the door.