Part XIII: Sibyl

The Emperor strode out of the area, proud that his journey to Delphi was not in vain. The answer I gave him was not false, but it was not the true answer to his question. All my life I have lived to serve others, and no one should have this knowledge but me and Aurelia. It is similar to knowing the time of your death. The fear can be self-destructive.

Aurelia, looked at me and raised her eyebrows in concern.

"Did I give the right answer?" I asked her. She leaned down, and moved my pillow on the chair to a more comfortable position.

"You did not give the true answer, but you gave a considerate one."

I thought about this. I nodded, content it was for the good of the Empire. It was necessary.

Both Aurelia and I knew the the year of the fall of Rome. It was this year, as well. When Aurelia first arrived, there was growing tension between the East and West of the Empire. Now, they had split. The West was disintegrating before attacks from invaders. The man who visited was the last Emperor of Rome. Roma had not fallen yet, but it would soon. I was worried that my friend and I would not leave in time, and would fall with the Empire.

I walked into my private area, with Aurelia behind me. She looked on as I brought my basket out from the table. I began laying my clothes into it. I moved quickly around the room, gathering all my favorite garments.

"What are you doing?" Aurelia asked.

"I am leaving. I do not want to be here when the Empire falls. I do not think we shall survive," I replied as I moved to the place where we kept the goods. I began to throw produce and meat into the basket. I turned around to face Aurelia, "Are you coming as well?"

Aurelia sat down at the table, "No. I do not want to leave my homeland. It is all I know."

I sat next to her and placed my hand over her shoulder, "You must leave now, we are immortal not invulnerable. The invaders will attack all sacred temples. This will be one of them."

"I know. I did not think you will understand." Aurelia got up quickly, and began to push me out of my private area. I struggled, not wanting to go. Her grip was strong. She opened the door with one hand, and had my shawl with the other. She pushed me out of the door and into the sunshine. I caught a glimpse of her face. There were tears down her face. It was heartbreaking.

I placed my hands on the wall, and began to bang them on it. I did not came if it bruised my old flesh. I was determined to get Aurelia with me, "Please, please, come. Life is hard when you are alone."

"Then I should like to know how it feels," came her voice from behind the wood. I stopped banging the door, instead placing my mouth to the wood.

I whispered to my dear friend, "I am going to Gallia*. From there I do not know. Wherever you hear of me, write to me that you are safe. I will wait an eternity.

"I hope you will not wait long. Be safe my friend." Came the soft reply from behind the door.

I stepped back from the door. I turned and began my journey down the long road from the temple. The sun was bright and golden in the sky. The light bore down on my skin. The air was hot. I never stopped walking till I reached the sea. It was morning when the boat left for Gallia. The crew was crude and rude to me. Only a tanned man with soft, brown eyes was nice to me. He helped me a lot, but never revealed his name.

The boat reached Gallia, after a long time aboard the boat. When my feet touched the sand of the beach, I turned back towards the crew. They were staring over the boat at me. One held a piece of meat and was savagely chewing into it.

"Barbarians! The gods could not tell the difference between you and the invaders of Rome!" And with that I ran quickly towards the edge of the sand. When I looked back, the boat was off of the sand, and a trail of stones marked the path I ran. The brutes were so angry they threw stones at me.

A magnificent start to a hard journey ahead. I walked slowly among the plants, heading for the nearest town. I had hope to meet some resemblance of civilization. Something to remind me of home.

*Gaul, now known as France