Part IX: Sibyl

The road was long and hard. The covers I had upon my feet were ripped. A stone was digging into my foot at the tip of one of the covers. I had walked for so long, traveling to Rome. It was early in the morning, and no carts had passed yet. The capital was still so far away. I thought I would make it soon. I guess I let myself get the better of me. Funny how that works.

As I walked along I remembered the events of yesterday with sadness. The broken look in Aurelia's eyes, the hurt one in Marcus', and the snake's in the mistress's. I refuse to call her my own any longer. I wished to the gods that Aurelia would not forgive the mistress and stay there for eternity. I shook my head. I needed to clear my thoughts.

I walked on for what must have been ages. The sky was clear, and the sun was bright by the time I reached the capital. For an early morning, Roma was very busy. The men were hitching their carts to work in the fields outside. And the women were in the market, buying food, wine, and material to sew kits for their children. I wished I could have a child, but I had found nobody in my lifetime who was as stubborn as I. I had to push through many different crowds to reach the palace of the King. In my basket was some of many manuscripts I wished to give him. For a price of course! I am not giving these away without getting something out of it. Not even for the King.

The doors were opened with many people scurrying in and out of the palace. It shimmered in the hot sun; the gold color blinded me as I walked by. It was a simple reminder of the riches the rulers had. The guards did not harm anyone as they stood on the sides of the big doors. I walked through the doors into a large courtyard. The populace stood waiting as more guards on the left led them into a room. They were brought before the King to voice a complaint and settle arguments. My business was more important. I narrowed my eyes and clutched my basket and shawl closer to my body. I ran as fast as I could to be the next person in line to see the King. I left in front of people, dragging other's attention towards me. I am sure they were very surprised to see an agile old lady.

I stopped at the curtain where the guards were standing. I turned and glared at the people who were staring at me. On any other day I would have modeled for them, but today was too important, too close to my heart.

"You are next, grandmother," said a voice behind me. I turned to face the guard. I nodded and he led me through the curtain. The King's back was turned, facing a table of fruit and breads.

The guard cleared his throat and yelled in a very loud voice, "LUCIUS TARQUINIUS SUPERBUS, KING OF ROMA!"

The King turned to face us. He lifted his hand and gave a tired gesture to the guard who left the building. He then waved me forward. I obeyed. I do not follow most orders, but one should at least consider them when they come from a King.

As I drew closer to him, he walked up some steps to a throne. When I stood in front of him, I held out my basket, "I want to sell these books, my King."

The King looked confused, "Then sell them in the market. That is not something I should be dealing with."

"I am sorry. I meant I want to sell them to you."

"Why?"

"They are important," I said. I leaned closer to him, close enough to whisper in his ear. "They are mystical. They tell the future."

The King laughed, "That power belongs to a person gifted by the gods."

"I am that. I am an oracle."

"Old woman, you are not an oracle!" the King said as he lifted his hands. "Please leave."

I did not give up though. I toiled through several hours. That man was proud and not a believer.

"Fine," I finally said, "If you will not hear it from me, you will see it."

I stepped back, and closed my eyes. In my mind, I saw an image of this very area. A guard comes in with a knife. He throws himself at the King. I open my eyes again. The King looks very disturbed. I bow deeply to him. "My King. I can tell the future. In a couple of minutes a guard will come into this room."

"That is not so strange," as he interrupts me. That seems disrespectful if you think about it.

I put my hands up to stop him, "Yet he will not be a real guard. He will be an sicario*."

The King's eyes widened. He stood there for a while before placing himself back on his throne. A knocking noise came from behind me. The King lifted his head as I turned around. The guard, the sicario had come in. He walked slowly towards the King. I stepped aside, unsure of what to do. I saw the hand of the King slip to his belt, which held a glittering sword with a red hilt. The guard leaned in as if to talk with him, and quickly pulled out his knife and directed it at the King.

The King brought his sword up to meet the attacker. As he jumped forward, the sicario moved backward. The King jabbed his sword at the attacker. He stuck the sword into the side of the false guard.

"Guards!" The King called. Guards rushed in and stopped, staring in confusion at their fellow guard who had now fallen to the ground holding his hand to his side. "This man tried to kill me! Put him in the dungeon. I shall come to talk with him there."

The guards moved swiftly and carried the body out and moved the bloody dirt to the corner of the room. I rushed forward to meet the King again. "My King, I still want to speak with you about my manuscripts."

The King turned towards me again and said, "In the evening. There has been to much going on. Tell the guards you are my guest. You shall stay in another room."

I nodded and bowed. As I left the King, I could not help thinking of my dear friend Aurelia. I hoped she was still surviving in that prison of a life.

*assassin