Part X: Sibyl

I crossed the now empty area in front of the King's chambers. No lines to run through, no confused looks at my wonderfully skillful and tactful way of cutting in line. The sun had fallen slightly below the distant hills, with only a little tip peeking out. The sky was a golden color. I was not feeling tired as I had been for a long, long time. Soon, nothing would be needed from me after this meeting with the King.

I entered the room again. A guard stood at the doorway. He banged his spear against the ground, and opened his mouth to announce the King.

I placed my hand on his shoulder, stopping him from saying any word, "There is no need to bellow as beautifully as you did at midday. I know who he is." The guard seemed to look sad as he nodded and left the room. I wanted to call out sorry, but I decided against it. I would talk with him later...maybe.

"Ah, you have returned just as I asked," said a voice from behind. It was the King.

I turned around noting the differences of the room. The table of food had gone, and now the King was dressed the royal color of purple.

I bowed and said, "Yes, my King. I have returned to make my sale."

"Yes, I remember. And I believe you about your communication with the gods." He waved me forward, "Phoebus Apollo looks down on you with great love."

I nodded, and from my basket I pulled out the many books I wrote, foretelling the future of the Regnum Romanum*. "These are manuscripts that tell of the fates for Roma. I shall sell to you for three large boxes of merx**, one large box of incensum***, and twenty thousand nummos aureos****." What can I say? I needed the goods to make a new life.

The King looked deep in thought, but his reply was not suitable.

"No," was his reply, "That is too expensive for some manuscripts written by an old lady in a lonely home. I will not buy them."

Noblemen! He thinks he can take them anyway. But these books were needed too much. And the King knows this. He thought much about the price I put on them.

I walked towards a stone circle in the corner with a fire in the middle. I picked up one of the wood and moved back towards the manuscripts. I placed the flaming stick on three of the nine manuscripts I had placed before the King. His eyes widened as he saw valuable prophecies turn into common dust on the ground.

I turned back towards the King. "There are now less books. I ask for the same price."

The King looked at me. He moved his fingers along the arm of the throne. He looked away from me.

"No," came the reply. He might have been even more stubborn than me, and that is saying something. But one should not think of such things before a King. It was unfitting. But I would not let him keep them. I know their importance. I wrote them with my own hands.

The King leaned forward as I placed the still burning wood against three more manuscripts. He stared in light horror as they were gone into ash and smoke.

"For the last three books, my King. I keep the same price." The King grit his teeth together. "I know how important they are for you, my King. I can see the look in your eyes." The King hastily changed his face to mask the fear of losing the last books prophesying the futures of the Regnum Romanum. The answer finally came.

"I accept your price, old woman."

I smiled and lifted the manuscripts off the ground and placed them in the hands of the King. He rose from his seat and walked over to a wall. There was a golden and blue chest, where the King gently laid the books within.

I picked up my basket again, letting it hang to my knees. "I bid you farewell, my King." I walked towards the curtain leading towards the outside area. Just for a moment I turned back and said, "You have made the right choice."

I stayed for awhile as the guards loaded my goods onto a large wagon. I sat at the front and started the horse forward.

As I left the city I felt the contents of my basket. I lied to the King. There were not nine manuscripts written. There were twelve. These last three wrote about the final days of the Roman Empire, a time that would come to pass about 918 years from now.

I put those thoughts aside, however, to think about where to go now. Perhaps Delphi, a place of another famous oracle. I could help those in need. I would really be an oracle.

*Roman Kingdom

**merchandise

***incense

****gold coins