61 - Young Blood III

Start from the beginning

Even the entryway to the party was barred by a great deal of guards—all with weapons ready to be brandished in the moonlight. They were on alert, but not as if looking for someone, which was a relief. Sighing softly, Catherine put a hand on Ezio's chest to make him pause. She smiled at his questioning brow, lifting ever-so-slightly, and pulled off his normal mask. She replaced it with the golden one, the masculine face stalwart and like a Roman statue almost. It made her think of their warrior masks, anyways, and she only lamented she couldn't kiss his lips. Still, it hid him better, so it would do.

"Ready?" she inquired softly, to which he replied by taking her hand and pressing it to the edge of the mask, his lips barred.

"Yes. Stay close to me as long as you can, and be safe... I would see you with me at the altar after this is all done."

"Don't expect me in a dress," she cooed back, and she just knew he was smirking.

"I expect nothing of the sorts... but you would look beautiful in one."

Catherine just laughed and took his arm again. She played the part of the courtesan well, smiling and cooing over her "patron" and even gave a few smiles and winks to the guards for good measure. They looked her over, of course, quite pleased with her appearance, but let them through unmolested.

The party itself was even more lavish than the rest of the city. It was surrounded all by water, the only way out through the archway they'd passed under. At the other edge was a ship—no doubt where the Doge would be. Why else would guards be all aboard it and in front of it? The main courtyard had guards as well, although they were actively patrolling. They weren't searching, though, which was useful. Equally useful was the thick throng of people dancing and mulling about, including jugglers and fire breathers. Groups of courtesans were flirting and dancing, and so they made for them. The women recognized them, thankfully, and nodded knowingly.

"You've not much time, my dears. The Doge will speak soon. Some of us are near—go to them... and do so quickly—the new guards don't look like they're here for a good time," one of the women mentioned, gesturing behind them. The two turned and, lo and behold, a new contingent of guards had arrived. Leading them was none other than Dante Moro, no doubt looking for his mask—and ultimately Catherine. Needless to say, things were going to become a tad more difficult now, but Teodora's girls were more than willing to help, and there was a decent crowd. Yet, there were other guards besides Dante's and the redhead didn't doubt he would bring them in on the search.

Yes, indeed; things were going to become difficult.

"Stay close," Ezio urged, grasping her arm gently, but she shook her head. His tightened grip told her he was frowning even with the mask on.

"They're not looking for you—just the mask. And me. Change it back to your old one, give the gold one to me, and stay hidden. I can lure him away while you take out the Doge," she urged, to which he hissed her name in defiance. She reached over and wrapped her fingers around the hand that held her arm. "Ezio, trust me. I can do this. You know I can. Just because you proposed doesn't mean I'm suddenly a delicate flower."

She added a smirk on the end, just to know there was no insult or anger meant. She could never really be angry with him. Frustrated, maybe, that he was being more protective now, although she didn't blame him; she felt the same for him, but they couldn't let that get in the way of the mission. Thankfully, Ezio seemed to understand. His grip lessened and he removed his mask to suddenly kiss her hard, but passionately, on the lips.

"Don't wait for me once it's done. Return to the brothel any way you can," he spoke quickly, pushing the mask into her grasp, and then placed his former guise over his face. Catherine nodded, no more words needed as she hooked the golden mask back to her hip, and melded into the crowd.