Chapter 41: Night Changes (Hannah)

Start from the beginning

"Four years? So what? If it means her feeling better about the entire thing, then wait. If you love her, there shouldn't have been even a slightest fucking thought about cheating on her. Talk to her, ask her about it. Don't do something you're going to regret, don't lose her, man. The only woman that has the heart to love you for you." Johnny rose, walking over to where I was on the couch.

"If you don't give her your fucking heart, Justin, I'm going to wait until hers is pieced back together and make a move myself." Johnny's eyes were on me as he crouched down, his words directed at the boy seated at the end of the couch, "Don't screw shit up, okay man? You're my friend, one of my brothers, I hate seeing you always in a shitty mood." Johnny turned suddenly and slapped a hand on Justin's shoulder.

After a moment of silence, Johnny shrugged his jacket off and draped it over my nearly exposed body, huffing out a loud sigh as he brushed passed Justin.

"Stop thinking with the wrong head," Johnny smacked him, "And follow your heart." then the idiot jock I had always found disgusting and nothing but a player walked out of the house, a newfound respect for him building in my chest.

I watched the door shut gently, a brush of cold air sweeping through the house. I shifted a little, feeling my heart clench when I found Justin sitting with his face in his hands, muttering quietly under his breath.

You've gone over two months without giving in to his pleading, Han, don't screw it up now. Make him prove he loves-

"Did you-"

"No." I mumbled, afraid to meet his eyes, "We haven't kissed either, Justin. I don't really want to talk right now, okay?" I wrapped Johnny's jacket tighter around me and stared at the ground.

"Han, you've taken Shania's place on the squad, you're never home, and I know that you're purposely avoiding telling anyone about your conversation with your mom. I don't know if this is some sort of rebellious stage or-"

"Its called living my life, Justin." I rolled over so I was facing the couch, biting the inside of my lip, "Maybe you should try it sometime."

*

I was stirred awake sometime during the night by my phone buzzing in my bra. I had forgotten to take it out when I got home and hadn't cared enough to turn the volume up.

"Hello?" I grumbled, rubbing my forehead.

"Han, it's Hailey." my sister's voice sent a wave of relief through me, "We, uh, kind of need your help."

"We?" I echoed, "With what?"

"Mason and me." She responded, "His truck won't start and we're in the parking lot of the mall by Walt's apartment."

"It's late." I muttered, "What are you and Mason doing in the parking lot of a mall? Making out?" even with my head pounding, I could feel a smile starting to stretch across my face.

"Han, sweetie." it was Mason's voice now, "It's only eight. You doin' okay?" I fought the urge to slap him through the receiver and pulled the phone away from my ear to check the time.

"Hannah, are you drunk?" worry was clear in my sister's voice. I sat up, my heart kickstarting in my chest when I saw Justin was still passed out on the other end of the couch.

"I had a drink. Or two." I scratched my head, "I was at Johnny's party." I heard my sister sigh.

"Give your phone to Justin." she insisted. I opened my mouth to protest, then thought better and handed the phone to Justin after shaking him awake.

"No. I don't know. It's not my job anymore, Hail. Whatever. We're on our way." he was talking quietly into the phone, as if he were still trying to wake up.