10

(Y/n) gasped as she came to, lurching forward in the process, weightless and plummeting back into reality. Her hands went to grip at the fabric above her heart, feeling the organ furiously thump out of rhythm, but the appendages were yanked back. (Y/n)'s shackled wrists itched as the stained metal clamps harshly tugged on her arms when she moved them. The inanimate objects uncaring that the wounded area burned like hellfire because of the irritated, jagged slits marring her skin.

(Y/n) gathered her wits, slowly coming to terms that she was still in prison as she righted herself into a more comfortable sitting position opposed to kneeling, uneasily tilting to the side from a sudden rush of dizziness. She clenched her jaw to bare with the debilitating pain. Doing this left her cheek throbbing incessantly, the sensitive flesh swollen and bruised from the nasty punch she had taken earlier from one of the knights. Hastily drawing in a few more lungfuls of oxygen, over the next few minutes her body was able to relax, realizing no danger was present at the moment.

She looked to her arms, noticing her bracelets, the ones that used to belong to Ebrin, were slathered in dry blood as well. Straightening out her messy thoughts, the last thing she remembered was thinking of the previous Champion and his parting words, and then darkness.

Her blurry eyes searched about for anything useful, her vision barely able to register the slumped, broken skeleton sitting to the left of her. Stomach churning as she examined the rags loosely hanging from the brittle bones of the dead person, (Y/n) shot her gaze upward. Anything to get the image out of her head.

I was too out of it earlier to notice, but those clothes. . . their design. . . this poor soul was from the Sheikah tribe – another brother or sister that has fallen to the filthy hands of the Yiga.

(Y/n) sharply inhaled, concealing her disgust, concentrating on the water leaking through the broken divots in the prison ceiling, watching mindlessly as the liquid dropped into shallow puddles with a repetitive plop. It was strangely soothing – the noise that is – it kept her mind from drifting too far off, but offered little comfort.

How many. . . How many more have to die before this war with Calamity Ganon and the Yiga reaches its climax?

Those thoughts seemed to worsen her condition as a cough shook her frame. The fever raging throughout her system made the muscles in her body ache, reacting as if she recently fought off a horde of enemies. On top of that, (Y/n)'s eyes were sore from her breakdown only hours ago – the crying leaving her emotionally exhausted. The pain of why she even began crying in the first place came back full force, striking mercilessly.

Images.

Countless images, so many she could hardly keep up, compiled into a giant heap within her head, shredding apart the fragility of her mental state as they played scenes from her past. She felt her heart violently jerk like it was being ripped right out of her chest, immensely overcome by grief weighing heavy on her conscious.

The overload of old feelings took claim over her mind, dismantling her thought process as she watched him appear and disappear throughout her memories. That was most likely why (Y/n) blacked out, her brain unable to cope with the sudden array of turbulent emotions. It was because of him, but how?

How could I have possibly forgotten someone that important?

The answer to that was much more complicated than what she hoped because it meant that other things could possibly be missing that she couldn't quite remember. Her mind had been desperate and out of options, defending its owner and extinguishing some of her earlier, more anguished, memories like they never existed. A defense mechanism to keep her sane.