6

After the incident with the Zoras, (Y/n) fervently trained harder, ignoring anything and everything else for the time being. Her muscles strained, her bones ached, but her mind felt alive. There was a new energy running its course throughout her veins like a dose of a full fledged inferno, and (Y/n) was taking advantage of its addictive properties. But, something within her was still blocked off, she could tell.

So, she accepted difficult challenges against veteran knights that had seen their fair share of blood and death. Losing and winning a fight were all the same to (Y/n). Either way, she gained knowledge from far more experienced individuals.

They were doubtful of (Y/n) at first, their hardened hearts rejecting the very idea of training her, but she proved to them why she was a respected Champion, and a guard for Princess Zelda.

(Y/n) did have an old teacher that held respected position of Captain in the Imperial Guard, but he refused to train her anymore after she became a prospective Champion, which led her to reach out to veteran knights so she could find a new mentor. When she did manage to snatch a knight willing to teach her, she never thought it would be Olten Rhomas, General of the Hyrulean Imperial Guard. He was tough as nails and an absolute pain to fight against, and that was when (Y/n)'s real training began.

The time spent with the veterans, and Olten, ate up any free time she usually dedicated to her research. The difficult decision was made to put aside everything so (Y/n) could dedicate herself to getting stronger. With all of her research concerning the Divine Beasts and ancient technology put on hold, (Y/n) gifted Purah and Robbie her investigative analysis on the entirety of her work.

The change in (Y/n)'s attitude was so drastic, Zelda bothered and nagged the Sheikah girl more frequently. Saying that working until she collapsed wasn't good for one's health, but the young princess couldn't get (Y/n) to see to reason.

Zelda wasn't the only one who worried about (Y/n), though.

Purah and Impa, after learning of the Zora disaster, were livid, expectedly, but it still came as a mild shock when (Y/n) was unceremoniously tossed onto a rickety chair, half listening/half zoning out of a good two hour lecture from both of her older sisters. What the youngest of the three failed to understand was their delusional sense that (Y/n) should never be exposed to danger.

She was a Champion. A guard for one of Hyrule's two royals. It was literally in her job description to sacrifice herself for Princess Zelda should the situation ever arise. Her life was always on the line. She was always ready to step up to a deadly enemy. And the toughened young girl was always prepared for the worst because the world was not a kind place.

Speaking of sacrifice, (Y/n) traced the edge of her menacing scar, it was much worse than what the Sheikah girl first thought. The calloused pads of her fingertips softly followed the jagged line from her right breastbone, to her collarbone, and then where it curved up over her shoulder to the back of her neck in a crescent formation.

A memory flashed before her eyes. One where people looked at her in absolute horror upon her return from Zora's Domain. Everyone had mixed reactions, especially with the angry scowl on (Y/n)'s lips.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Zelda sat behind (Y/n), Steel leading them to the castle as he trotted up the cobblestone road. Her shirt, permanently stained with her blood, was the center of attention. Both of the girls ignored the stares, not in the mood to deal with anymore stressful situations, but (Y/n) did listen to what they discussed amongst themselves.