E I G H T E E N

The atmosphere was tense.

As Rhyannon stood beside me – frozen yet unbothered, I couldn't help but stand like a deer caught in head lights staring at the man who's cold, hazel eyes bore into my soul trying to find answers all while keeping his anger at bay. His stance and the way he looked at me would have fooled anyone into thinking this man was calm and collected, but I could see it. I could feel the anger boiling up in the depths of his stomach ready to pour out.

I felt guilty. I don't want him to be mad at me, but how could I have expected any different? I should be defiant and stand my ground. Tell him that I am obliged to go as I please without someone telling me otherwise but I couldn't because I knew why Enzo told me what he did.

I haven't even scratched the surface of creatures that must be hidden beyond the dark trees of this land.

"Clancy." His firm, deep voice called out my name. He wanted answers that I was too afraid to give him. If I tell him that I went to unclaimed territory, got hunted by a wild rogue and had one of my previous coworkers spot me, he would go ballistic.

"Enzo," Rhyannon exclaimed suddenly. Enzo's dark angry eyes snapped over to her.

"Before you start yelling, I would like you to know that I had no part in this, it was all her." My neck almost snapped at how fast it turned to stare at Rhyannon. My fists clenched ready to punch her through the concrete wall.

"B*tch." I hissed out. She sent me a sarcastic smile and took her time walking away from us. I watched as she walked up the stairs slowly.

I really don't know where our friendship lies, if there even is one.

"Enzo, she's lying." I sighed.

"Is she?" He raised a brow. My head jerked back in surprise.

"Yes!" I claimed, shocked and a bit affronted.

"But you were so adamant on calling your grandmother that you would have done anything to contact her, even if it means putting your life in danger." His voice rose at the end.

"Enzo." I began. He raised a hand and turned his head away from me.

"Don't." My mouth clamped close.

"When I told you to stay in this territory, it wasn't an option, it was an order. I expected you to follow." I felt like a small child being scolded. I stayed silent while Enzo was practically shouting at me.

"I would risk my life just to talk to my grandmother because that my family! I don't have parents, only my grandmother Enzo. She thought I was dead." My voice raised.

"It should have stayed that way. It would have been safer if she continued to think that you were dead but now she knows the truth, and so does everyone else in that town." He hissed out. Say what now?

"You seem surprised Clancy, I guess you didn't know that every call made is always tracked. They know you're alive and now they'll be coming for you." He spat out, angrily.

"They don't want me, the mayor made it clear once I crossed." I defended weakly. He let out a bitter chuckle and shook his head.

"They left you for dead, but now that they know you survived they'll be wanting to document you; and they'll do whatever it takes to get to you, even if it means starting a whole new war."

Realisation dawned on me quick. In the event of trying to call my grandmother, I willingly just put everyone living on this side in danger.

Enzo must have seen the sorrow displayed on my face because his blazing eyes softened and his arms came around me.