In the real world heroes don't exist

I was sitting on my bed reading a comic book by my bedside lamp. My sister Laina was in her room across the hall probably typing up a storm to a new book she was writing. We lived in New York City, in a small old house. Thankfully we lived in a quiet, friendly neighborhood. Everyone knew each other and everyone got along fine.

I was sitting with my back against the head board of my queen sized bed. My comfy Arc reactor t-shirt fitting loosely around my slim body and my red checkered cotton pajama bottoms kept my legs warm. I had my chestnut colored hair up in a messy bun. Basically it was the usually summer night. Rain was pounding out on the windows.

Everything was quiet until I saw an unusual flash of light out side, and before you go thinking that I'm crazy... No! It was not lightning. The bright flash was a glowing purple color. I jumped in surprise nearly falling of the edge of my bed.

'What the hell?', I murmured slowly climbing off my bed and walked towards my window. I quickly turned the light on and peeked between my blue curtains to scout out the front yard. I wasn't really able to see anything because it was raining so heavy out.

I reached under my bed and pulled out my metal baseball bat. Laina stood in her doorway looking at me confused. 'What are you doing?', she whispered. I gave her a reassuring smile, 'Just gonna check and see what that strange light was.'

She suddenly started to turn pale, 'But Christian what if it's something dangerous?!'She was suddenly scared and ran to me hugging me. I let out a small laugh hugging her back with one arm. 'I'll be fine Laina, just wait right here.', I calmly instructed.

Both me and my sister read a lot of comics and watch a lot of fantasy type stuff so we were sorta over reacting, but hey! If it were you and your little sister living alone, just two young girls that are completely defenseless you'd freakout over some purple light too. Aleast I think you would...

I made sure Laina would stay put before heading down stairs with my trusty bat ready to pummel somebody to a bloody pulp if they tried something.

I creeped towards the front door and peeked out the window beside the door. The front yard looked pretty normal except for a small dent like crater off towards the large oak tree. I huffed grabbing my thick hoodie of the coat rack and pulled on my rain boots before opening the door.

I stepped out on to the front porch and scanned the rest of the yard before grabbing my bat and heading towards the crater. When I looked inside it was empty, just a small dent that wasn't there before.

'I guess there's no aliens tonight...', I mumbled dryly before turning to go back to the house bat slung over my shoulder casually. We must've imagined the flash of light or something.

Just as I reached the porch I heard a loud crash from the shed in the back. My body stiffened. Maybe there was aliens to be dealt with. I returned to holding my bat at the ready and stalked up to the shed.

I was now drenched but that didn't bother me one bit, I was too concerned about what might be in my shed. I walked up to the already slightly opened door and took a deep breath before reaching forward and pulling it open.

Once the door was open I jumped back raising my bat. The shed was eerily dark except for the occasional flash of lightning that brightened the room and was silent except for the rumbling thunder.

I moved forward cautiously keeping my eyes  and ears peeled for anything out of place. I quickly found the source of the loud clash. It was the gardening equipment. Something or someone knocked it all down.

I scanned the room before letting out a relieved sigh. Nothing was here, probably just my imagination. I set my bat down and bent down grabbing up the gardening stuff and resetting them in their rightful places.