chapter 50

Zayn couldn't get any sleep that night because of all the worry on his mind. When dawn broke he eagerly waited for his nurse to come and check up on him until his first visitors could arrive - specifically, until Harry would arrive.

"Good morning, Zayn!"

"Morning, Pippa."

"And, how are we doing today?" The bubbly nurse asked as she opened the curtains and window to let in some fresh air.

"I'm alright." He answered with a slight pout. "How're you?"

"I'm well, thanks." She smiled at Zayn and then checked his drip. "How's the leg?"

He shook his head no, signalling that it hadn't improved. "My arm's really itchy though." He said eyeing his cast and wiggling his exposed fingers.

"Oh yea, those casts are a real pain when you have an itch. Uhm, I'll bring you a pencil or straw do you can use that to scratch it when I bring you breakfast in, yea?"

"Thanks." He nodded and tried to use his good arm to try and lift his body up higher.

"Zayn, wait, let me. Please, ask for help when you need it. That's what I'm here for."

Zayn clenched his jaw. He had learnt from a young age to be independent and do things for himself, so it was a bit of a struggle for him to put his pride aside and ask for someone else's help concerning basically everything that he took for granted just a few weeks ago.

*

"Is Harry still coming?"

"Yea, I actually spoke to him early this morning to talk about when would be easier for him to come and see you... alone, you know?"

"You can stay, Don, I -"

"I just want you and Harry to sort out...whatever you both have going on. He obviously still cares about you to make an effort to drive about an hour pretty often to come and see you. You owe him some alone time, Zayn."

Don't put me on a guilt trip. Please.

"He's a lovely guy, Zayn. I really like him."

Zayn stayed silent and kept his eyes focused on the front of the room - and as the saying goes, speak of the devil and he shall appear, three soft knocks sounded from door, gaining the Malik siblings' attention.

It would be cliché to say that when Zayn saw Harry again it was like the first time they had met, because the first time that he had seen Harry, he wanted to fulfil his own needs of lust that he felt towards him. This time, Zayn felt relief and joy when he saw Harry. He had missed the kind, soft, green eyes with light creases at the corners caused by his ever present greeting smile. He really felt his heart flutter at the sight of him.

Soft bird chirps from outside were interrupted by harsh sound of chair legs scrapping against floor tiles and Zayn was inevitably pulled out of his longing gaze. "Hey, Harry. I'm just going to go stretch my legs. I'll see you guys in a bit." Doniya said to both Harry and Zayn before quickly exiting.

Harry held the door open for her and once let go of the handle, immediately felt how sweaty his palm was. He turned around and wiped his hand on his jeans before swapping the flowers he had brought to that same hand. They were bright yellow sunflowers. A nice and welcoming contrast to the dull grey floor and white walls that Zayn was surrounded by.

He silently grabbed a spare glass, placed the flowers in it and poured some water in before taking Doniya's seat next to Zayn. "Hi." Harry smiled and it was like Zayn had woken up from a dream as soon as he opened his mouth.

Zayn's jaw opened and closed a few times before he was finally able to spit out a simple 'hello'. He could smell Harry's cologne. A clean fresh scent and maybe a mix of mild flowers - not sweet but simply just refreshing. Zayn couldn't quite get the description right but he loved it, it was so Harry.

"How are you?" Harry leaned forward slightly to rest his arm on the bed.

"... Irritated." Zayn raised his eyebrows and laughed, making Harry grin with him. "Can't really do anything for myself." He shrugged. "How are you?" He asked with his tone immediately softening.

"Relieved. Happy." Harry let out a single laugh and then lowered his head. "I thought you had died, Zayn." He said as soon as his smile fell.

"... Join the club." Zayn tried to make light of the situation but Harry was still visibly upset. "I'm sorry." Zayn whispered and both him and Harry knew that that apology was not just for making a silly joke. The boys shared a silent look with Harry already forgiving Zayn for just up and leaving his life so abruptly.

"I just want you to be okay again." Harry finally said.

"... I don't know if I will be.. Uhm, I don't have any feeling in my right leg."

Harry gazed at Zayn's leg.

"And I don't know if it's temporary or permanent. It's -"

"But your spine, how's your spine?" Harry worried.

"It's fine. All the major things, head, spine, whatever is okay."

"Then you'll be okay, Zayn." Harry tried to assure, even though he didn't know if that was the truth or not. Perhaps he was also trying to make himself feel better by saying what he said.

Zayn shook his head and finally broke down. "I've gone and messed everything up, Harry. I was so stupid - so selfish and the fact that it had to take an accident to happen to open my eyes, I just -" He shook his head and Harry let his fingers move closer to Zayn's, just to have their fingertips touch.

Harry tried to fight back his own tears as he spoke. "You're going to be okay, Zayn. We're all going to be there with you, okay? You're such a strong person I know that this isn't going to get the best of you." Nothing had changed with Harry always choosing to see the best in Zayn. "You're going to get physiotherapy and whatever else you fancy sports stars get," Zayn laughed at that. "And you're going to be back on the field in no time, okay? You're a fighter, Zayn. You've proved that to yourself and us so many times." Harry said giving his hand a bit of an encouraging squeeze. He chose to focus on the here and now, abandoning thoughts that he and Zayn could rekindle anything of what they had, because honestly it wasn't very likely that they would, to Harry. A lot of time had passed and things had changed so he decided to just be the best of friends that he could be for Zayn.