chapter 28

"Well, well, well. Morning, Harold." Louis greeted Harry as soon as he walked into their apartment.

"Hey! Good morning." Harry greeted, looking like a deer caught in headlights.

"I'm sure it was good." He replied, bringing the bowl of cereal - or rather what was just milk left, to his lips and teased Harry with his ocean blue eyes. Of course Harry had told Louis about his secret little relationship.

"Uhm. I'm gonna go shower." Harry blushed.

"Mhmm." Louis hummed, walking past him and to the kitchen to leave his bowl in the sink.

***

Zayn: can we meet for lunch?

Liam: time and place?

Zayn: 12:30. Nandos?

Liam hadn't replied so Zayn took that as an, 'I don't really want to but I guess I'll show up for a few minutes.' And by the look of Liam's face as soon as he walked in the door, Zayn thought that he was right. Liam looked like he didn't want to be there and was just forcing an appearance.

"You look like hell." Liam said, sitting down.

"Uh, yeah.." Zayn pulled his chair in more. "...training." He lied. Once Harry left his place, he wasn't going to think about sleeping, knowing that he wanted to sort whatever was going on with Liam out.

"Mm," Liam pressed his lips together, looking like someone had just shoved a lemon wedge near him.

"Liam... have I done something wrong?" Zayn finally asked.

"No."

"Then what's happening? Why are you so... I don't know you're just so upset with me and I'm wracking my brain because you said it's not the soccer? So what else is i-"

"Yea, well I lied. It is the soccer thing. I was fucking jealous, Zayn - I still am." Liam, finally let out. "I was angry at you too, which isn't fair because it's not your fault. I just.. I wanted in too."

Zayn sat speechless for a few seconds. "Liam, I'm -"

"Yea...I know." He said in a softer voice. "And I'm sorry too."

Zayn felt awful. How could he have not picked up in that even though Liam said he was okay. He felt that he shouldn't have just accepted the excuse as easily as he did. "...Maybe I can speak to the coach?"

"Forget it, Zayn. I'll get over it with time." He rubbed the back of his neck and pulled at his scarf.

"Maybe if one of the players drop out -"

"Ha!" Liam laughed at that. Who would ever give up an opportunity like this?

"Or like, I accidentally kick them in the ankle." Zayn grinned and this time Liam genuinely laughed.

"Please don't. We don't need anymore fights."

After Zayn's laughter died down, he but his lip. "...try again. Don't give up just because of one small mishap. You're a great player, Li."

"Yea...thanks. I'm sorry about all of this. I was a moody prick."

"Don't be." Zayn laughed. "Thought that you were pissed at me for something else."

"Like what?" Liam chuckled and Zayn was about to speak when the waitress came over to take their orders.

"Uhm," Zayn handed the menu back to her and Liam quirked a brow. "So, I'm gay." He leaned forward and spoke loud enough just for him and Liam to hear.

"...Oh!" Liam nodded and Zayn narrowed his eyes. Liam Payne was a disgustingly bad actor. He had no poker face whatsoever.

"You knew." Zayn said with a stronger voice.

"Pff! No, wh- okay. Okay." Liam dropped the act. "That time when Louis handed your arse to you -"

"Mate, it wasn't even that bad." Zayn defended himself.

"Yea, okay. Anyway. You wouldn't say what the hell was going on so I called Louis the next day and it sort of came out like word vomit."

".. What exactly did he say?" Zayn felt himself grow panicky.

"The one night stand..." Liam replied sheepishly and from the look on Zayn's face, Liam knew that no one was supposed to know about that. "Zayn, come on. It's Louis. Harry and him are like brothers.. what you said really hurt him so he had to go tell someone. Besides, you know Lou, he's cool."

"Yea and I see you've gotten pretty buddy buddy with him too."

"Yea...well." Liam shrugged. "He's a nice guy. He wouldn't out you like that - no matter how much of a dick you were."

"Don't remind me." Zayn mumbled.

"Don't be mad at Harry."

"I'm not." Zayn said, and he wasn't. He took time to calm down and think before he reacted and he understood. Plus Louis was a nice guy so there wasn't anything to worry about. This was still all in Zayn's hands. He would tell whoever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was in charge of this. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I waited for you." Liam shrugged.

"And if it never came out?"

"Then it's fine. It's something for you to share, not me to demand to know."

God Liam. I wish more people in the world were like you.

"So...we're fine?"

"No Zayn, I expect you to immediately ask me out on a date so I can head home and get ready."

"Arse." Zayn laughed and shook his head.

"Yes. We're okay." Liam laughed with him.

And just like that, their friendship was back to normal.