chapter 36

"You know who's back in town?"

"Who?"

"Remember that Shawn Lennard?"

Liam stopped walking along Zayn and turned to face him. His expression not pleased at all. "Yea?"

"Well...he's on the team and I was dumb enough to not take any fucking notice." Zayn kickcked at a pebble and watched it bounce further and further away from him and Liam.

"He say anything?" Liam, who goes into full older brother mode asked and Zayn's throat tightened. He's always been like that with Zayn since he saw that he came from a family surrounded by women. Zayn always followed his dad's lead and felt that he always needed to be the one to take care of and look after everyone and never felt that he was allowed to have his guard down - until Liam came around and offered a shoulder to lean on when it was needed.

"Nah - well he's still a prick. No surprise there ... Just trying to get under my skin like usual, but that's not going to happen. I'm not that person anymore." Zayn lied straight through his teeth about what had happened at the last soccer practice he attended.

Not only was he ashamed of what happened but he also didn't really want to speak about it because it upset him so much.. So, as usual, he bottled things up again. Wind picked up speed around the friends and sent Zayn's untied hair into a frenzy around his face.

He suddenly felt like crying. Just completely breaking down and just giving up on things.

"Hey?"

"Hmm?" Zayn's eyes quickly snapped back to Liam's.

"What's up with you?" Liam frowned.

"I don't know... I think I'm getting the flu or something." Zayn shrugged. "Uh, I'm gonna head home. See ya around, mate."

"...Okay? See you." Liam watched Zayn walk away before he turned on his heel and headed to work.

***

Harry: 📷 is it awful that I laughed?

Harry: 👀👀 my sense of humor can't be that bad lol

Harry: zayn where are you? Are you alright?

Harry: is it nerves? Are you nervous for tomorrow?

Zayn stared at his phone and reread the messages over and over again, wanting to tell Harry to just buzz off and leave him alone.

Zayn: I'm not feeling well. I'm not playing in the match. Doctor said I shouldn't

Harry: what do you mean?? What happened?

Zayn: I'm sick

Harry: with? :(

Zayn: like a stomach bug or something

Harry: babe no :( how did that happen?

Zayn: I don't know harry. You're asking so many questions, I just want to sleep.

Harry: oh..I'm sorry. Just wanted to know if you were alright because we normally speak everyday

Goddamit, Zayn.

Zayn: I know. And I'm sorry. I'm just not feeling right

Harry: do you want me to come over?

Zayn: I don't want you to get sick too

Harry: I'll risk it?

Zayn: it's really fine

Zayn: I'll just sleep it off

Harry: please just talk to me and tell me what's wrong

Zayn: I did?

Harry: you're taking not playing in the match in Friday this well? Either you're not zayn, don't care about soccer anymore or

Harry: ..is it about your parent coming down?

Zayn: oh no :) don't need to worry about that at all :)

Zayn: Doniya told me that they can't make it coz life is so hectic on their side

Harry: zayn, I'm sorry ❤ let me come over, please?

Zayn sat on the edge of his bed and wiped his tears away. He had placed his phone beside him while he got all of his emotions out. His ringtone temporarily halted his tears and he saw Harry's face light up his screen.

"Yea?"

"I'm sorry ... I'm coming over okay?"

"Harry, I don't need anyone, okay. Just let me rest and we can hang out this weekend."

"Okay, well, I need you right now and can't wait for this weekend...so I'm coming over." Harry whispered sadly to Zayn and the pair stayed silent for a while before Harry hung up first and got up to go and grab a jacket and his keys.

*

"Zayn?" Harry knocked on his front door and called out. "Open up! My nipples are going to freeze and fall off - all four of them!"

Zayn opened the door and saw Harry smiling lightly at his own joke. "Hi." He greeted and didn't let Zayn reply since he lurched forward to pull him into a nice warm hug.

Zayn breathed in Harry's scent and let his eyes shut. Slowly he wrapped his arms around Harry's lean frame and pulled him close.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about your parents and the match." Harry mumbled and pressed his cheek against Zayn's. After Zayn remained silent, Harry pulled away and pressed multiple kisses to his cheek. He soon made his way to his lips and and then to the other cheek.

"Harry," Zayn managed to just get out a chuckle as Harry peppered his face with care. He found himself hugging him again, tighter this time as his lips quivered slightly. Harry let his fingertips dig into Zayn's shoulder and his mouth dropped open.

"Zayn, I love you."