Seventeen

17

By the time the car arrived in front of the house, Jena's nerves were back.

"Don't worry, she'll love you." Harry assured her, kissing a freckle by her eye.

"She better," Jena breathed, "because she's not getting rid of me either way."

"That's my girl!" Harry grabbed Jena's windswept hair, and Jena let him pull it into a French braid.

He tied it off at the end, Jena running a hand over it to make sure there were no bumps. Pleased, Jena turned back to Harry. "Let's go."

Harry rang the doorbell, bags in hand. They had said farewell to the bodyguards, but the two were alone on the porch for only a few moments before a woman opened the door.

She was pretty, with dark hair and the same face-shape as Harry. Once Anne saw the two, Jena realized Harry had her smile as well.

"Harry! It's so good to see you, love! And this must be Jena!"

"Hello, ma'am," Jena said, suddenly realizing she wasn't sure if Anne's last name was Styles or not.

"You can call me Anne, darling. Come in, come in!" She called, ushering the two through the threshold.

Well, that solved that problem. Jena did as she was told, setting her stuff down by the door.

"I'm just about to put the steaks on, dears. Harry, would you start the mushrooms? Tell me everything that's happened!" Anne said cheerily.

"The album's gotten great reviews. The tour's starting in a month or so, and I can't wait." Harry told her enthusiastically.

"That's lovely, H, but I really want to know about your girlfriend here." Anne said, looking at Jena with a dazzling smile.

"Well," Jena started, "I'm a lawyer. I deal with contracts and the like."

"Harry here wanted to be a lawyer. Of course, the singing thing happened first, but I see there are already similarities!" The woman was so eager, treating Jena like royalty.

"Yes, we work well together," Jena agreed, "I also paint a bit, and I love to read."

"But she's never finished a bloody book," Harry called out, having finished cutting the mushrooms.

"Really now?" Anne asked, intrigued.

"No, I, um, I like to create my own endings." Jena stated awkwardly.

"Fascinating!" Anne laughed, and it sounded like little bells tinkling. The woman was practically an angel, and suddenly Jena was very, very nervous about what Anne thought of her.

"Well, I'm going to grill the steaks now. You two can entertain yourselves, or if you're feeling helpful, set the table." Anne instructed, leaving Harry and Jena alone once more.

"Why so nervous?" Harry asked right away, and Jena blushed, the pink of her cheeks clashing with the red of her hair.

"I don't know, it was just a lot at once, and your mother is wonderful... I just really hope she likes me." Jena blurted out.

"She will," Harry said, sounding very sure of himself.

"You're her baby, though," Jena whimpered, "she's bound to have insanely high standards."

"You're the first girl I've brought home to meet her," Harry admitted, "she likes you already if only for that fact."

"Seriously?" Jena asked, playfulness seeping back into her voice. "I'm your first?"

"Fuck you," Harry complained, but he was pleased her nerves were lifting.

"Yes, we all know you want in my pants, you don't have to voice it," Jena shot back.

"I knew you were funnier than you looked," Anne piped up, and Jena whirled around. Her voice abandoned her, leaving Jena with a hand clapped over her mouth and an expression of pure terror.

"Relax, Jennie," Anne cooed, "I don't mind. Where do you think Harry gets his sense of humor from?"

"Jennie," Jena said emotionlessly, mind still processing all the information.

"Oh, yes, I hope you don't mind, I've always like the name Jennie." Anne grinned.

"No, no, it's fine," Jena finally decided. "I was just surprised, is all."

"No need to worry," Anne assured her, "I'm sure we'll get along just fine."

"Great!" Jena said, a smile painting her face. Anne had a way of putting people at ease, and Jena was no different. The three had a wonderful dinner, sharing stories and having a laugh. Jena was more than pleased with her experience, and when she and Harry flew back late the next night, she considered the trip a success.