4

Makenna POV:
I held Hunter's hand tighter as I led him into the woods. I knew this place like the back of my hand. I guided him though twists and turns and over a small creek. We were almost there. I looked back at Hunter to see him get whacked in the face with a branch. A laugh escaped from me but my free hand shot up to cover my mouth. Hunter glared at me, which made me laugh even more. "It's not funny." He said, trying to act annoyed. I knew he thought it was funny, too. "Alright, maybe it is a little funny." Hunter said while playfully rolling his eyes at me. "C'mon, we're almost there." I said to him while I continued dragging him behind me. Almost there, almost there, almost....
We jogged out to an opening in the woods that dropped off to a steep slope. The slope led down to this creek which ran past fallen logs and a natural wall of clay barely holding the massive tree above. It was beautiful. No matter how many times I came out here, it still had the same effect on me. We walked to the ledge of the opening. "Wow." Hunter whispered in awe. "Yeah, I know the feeling." I said. Hunter stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist as I rested my head on his chest. Best. Day. Ever. Suddenly this popping sound came from farther down in the woods. "What was that?" Hunter asked. He looked worried. "Probably just a group of teenagers with air soft guns." I said. I shrugged it off. Air soft gun fights happen regularly in the woods, but I've never came upon one in progress. I turned around and looked at Hunter. "Everything's fine." I said. "It will be as long as you're here." Hunter said and kissed me on my forehead. I smiled. He pulled me into a warm hug. This moment with Hunter may never happen again, so I might enjoy it while it lasts. It didn't last for long.

Click. I froze. Hunter did too. I felt him tense up. The sound came from behind me but I didn't want to investigate. I raised my head from where it had been resting on Hunter's chest to look at him. He looked like he had seen a ghost. His eyes were huge and the color had washed from his face. You don't need to have heard a gun being loaded to know what it sounds like. I squeezed my eyes shut. I know the gun couldn't be more than four inches away from me, so if whoever is holding the gun decided to pull the trigger, it would hurt a lot. Hunter held me close. Shapes and figures were moving between the trees behind him. Five, at least. "Let go of the girl." A deep, serious voice of a guy behind me said. What the heck is going on? Hunter only held me tighter. "Let her go." The same voice demanded. "Never." Hunter said. His face was stone cold. He meant what he said. I was scared if he didn't do what they said, someone would get hurt. "Hunter, let me go. I'll be okay." I knew I was lying to him and to myself. I didn't know if I was going to be okay. I barely knew what was going on. But if lying prevented either one of us from getting hurt or worse, then I would lie. Reluctantly, Hunter loosened his grip on me and immediately we were pulled apart. Hands were suddenly on my shoulders and around my waist, jerking me backwards. It felt like everything was happening in slow motion. I was screaming for Hunter as I was being taken away from him. Hunter was trying to escape the grip of three people, desperate to get to me. Another figure pulled out a gun. No, I thought. Not him. Not me. Not us. Not now. Not ever.