I think back for a moment before sighing, not offended that he asked me, but only because I hated myself for what I had done. Even then, I knew it was something I shouldn't have done, but I deserved the consequences that came after.

"It started soon after we first took her in; when she killed her first victim."

-*+*-

8 years ago

I cross my arms as I watch Laurel scream, her sound radiating towards a pile of barrels we had set up for target practice. It's been a week now since we took her in, and she's been getting better with her ability, but she still was a little sloppy. For example, instead of knocking all of the barrels over just now, she only knocked down three of the six.

"You need to aim towards the center of the stacked barrels to get them all to knock over," I say before I flash forwards and reset the barrels, stacking them up three on two on one. After I do this, I grab Laurel's arm to borrow her scream ability, feeling the speed I had a moment ago fading away. "Watch."

I ready my stance before throwing my hair over my shoulder, letting out a scream just like how she would, only this time, I directed it towards the middle of the barrels. Laurel watches closely as all of the barrels topple over, clanking against the hard ground.

After I do this, I hold out my hands to use my gravity power to set the barrels back. I step to the side as I look back at Laurel. "Try again."

She doesn't say anything as she steps back up, biting her bottom lip as she focuses. A few seconds go by before she lets out another scream, directing it just like how I had shown her. This time, all of the barrels fall to the floor in a heap as she smiles, proud of herself. Seeing her smiling reminded me of the feeling I had felt when I was first able to lift a soda can off of the table.

"Looks to me like she's ready," I hear a raspy voice say behind me, causing me to turn and see Zoom standing there, mask still on. He had yet to reveal himself to Laurel, and I wondered how long that would take until he trusted her.

I nod my head. "I'd say she's good to go."

"Good, but there's something she needs to do first." I stare at him blankly, unsure what he was talking about. Laurel looked just as confused as me, if not more. "Have you ever taken a life before, Laurel?"

She widens her eyes. "What? No-"

"Well then I guess today's that day, isn't it?" he says back, cutting her off. When I turn back to look at Laurel, I thought I was going to see her panicked, but instead, she actually looked half-way okay with it.

I raise my eyebrow. "Why is this a requirement all of a sudden?"

Jay looks over at me, but I couldn't see his eyes behind his mask. "I don't just hand out trust. If she's really with us, then this will be no problem, right Laurel?"

Laurel nods her head stiffly, and I knew then that she was going to do this. "I want to kill him. I want to kill the man that broke me.."

"The man who left you those scars?" Jay hisses lowly as he points towards her arms. Laurel glances down at them before nodding her head, revenge radiating from her.

Jay raises his chin. "What are we waiting for then?"

Laurel glances over at me as I nod my head. Hearing all of this again only reminded me of the time I first killed someone, and it almost wrecked me. If it weren't for the fact that I had lost my powers for the time being to distract me, it would have eaten me up alive. Killing someone wasn't easy, but I wondered if that hatred that Laurel had for this man would make it easier.