45. Dark Side

*there is a little bit of a trigger warning in this chapter about abuse, so proceed at your own risk*

8 years ago

After letting Jay and Laurel get acquainted, I thought it'd be best for her to show him what she was capable of doing. Jay agreed of course, he loves to see new abilities in action. It was then soon after proposing that idea that I came up with a better one: since Killer Frost was Jay's little slave now, I thought it'd be fun to have Laurel experiment on her. Surprisingly, he agreed.

So, that's where we were going now. Jay ran off to go track down the ice princess while I took Laurel to the dock, a good open space for her to practice at. It was the place I had gone to look for Dust Storm ages ago it felt like, and come to think of it, I haven't seen her in quite some time. I wonder why.

I cross my arms as I sigh, my breath showing in the cold crisp air. Laurel stands there silently as she makes x's in the ground with her foot. "So, you said you came here to get away from someone. What did that mean?"

She looks up at me briefly before looking back down. "It's a long story."

I look around, my eyes searching through the night. "Well at this rate, Zoom will take all night. Might as well use some of that time for a long story."

Laurel stops moving her foot across the ground as she sighs, looking back up while crossing her arms. She shivers slightly before setting her eyes on me, hard as stone. "Before I lived in Star City, I used to live here. I moved here after finishing law school, and I had a good life here. I was working on a case in Star City a few years ago when I met a guy...Davion. Of course we fell in love as you would say and I moved to Star City soon after."

She pauses for a moment as she looks back down at the ground, and I could tell that something was holding her back from telling me more. Curiosity started to get the best of me as I waited for her to continue. After a few more seconds, she grabs the sleeve of her jacket and pulls it up, revealing multiple bruises and hand markings.

"One day, we got in a fight. I can't even remember what the damn argument was about...but the next thing I knew, he was grabbing me and throwing me to the ground." She pauses while taking a deep breath, tears starting to fill her eyes. "He just kept hitting me, and he just laughed. Do you know what that feels like? To be beaten to a pulp while the man you loved was laughing?"

Silence fills the air once again as she rolls her sleeve back down, using the end of it to wipe away the tears falling from her eyes. I stand there in awe as I wait for her to continue, unsure of what to even say to that.

"It continued for months, but I still stayed. He even took up the habit of drinking again, which only promised me more scars. It wasn't until yesterday I finally got away and left...I didn't have anywhere else to go, so I came here, back to Central City. Then you found me, and now here I am, standing with one of the most feared villains that claims that they're going to help me."