28. Madness

Present

Present

By the time we got back to the station, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. The moment he put me down and ripped his mask off, I could see the rage radiating off of him. As I gathered myself to stand, he lets himself yell first.

"You care about him," he screams, his hair matted down from the hood on his suit. "I should have known...I should have paid more attention. I told you no trust. I told you no love. Here you are cursing at me for caring about Caitlin, but you care about him-"

"You sent me here to get closer to him, Hunter. You sent me here to make sure everything stayed in line, and it did. I tried every second to remember your words, but I guess that just wasn't enough. None of this is my fault," I gasp as I point at my chest, feeling it's leather under my finger tip. "We can't help who we fall for-"

"Yes you can," he states, stressing the you instead of we. "You should have killed those cops in a second and been out of there and done, but instead you listened to him; the man we've been chasing after for months, researching and planning to someday take his speed and kill him. We've come too far for you to pull an act like this."

I feel my blood beginning to boil as I take a step closer to Hunter. "Me? You're seriously telling me that I'll be the one to ruin what we've come so far to archive? I'm not the only one who cares for someone that I shouldn't! Caitlin is a friend of his; she's mixed into the list of people that are supposed to die too. I may have not been able to kill those cops, but you did the same thing earlier today. You listened to her instead of doing it in the blink of an eye. If you would have just did it earlier, we wouldn't be in this mess right now!"

Hunter shakes his head at me, and I knew I wasn't getting through to him. I knew I wasn't; when it came to things like this, he never listened. "Caitlin is different!"

"No she's not!" I belt at the top of my lungs, feeling my words shake the room around me. "You always taught me to only trust you; to never fall for anyone else, or else I'll regret it. Don't you see what this is doing to us, Hunter? You've always been my teacher; you've always taught me what I needed to know, but this is the one thing you never taught yourself. You can't choose who you fall in love with, and you most definitely can't change it. Love makes you weak; we both know that now, but please, just listen to me! You can't stand there and tell me that I've sinned when you've committed the same ones."

He stands there for a long moment as he stares at me, both of our chests heaving from the shouting. I knew that Caitlin was off in the other room listening and most likely waiting in anticipation on what the outcome was going to be, but I didn't care. All I could think about right now was Hunter and Barry.

Finally, he takes a deep breath before speaking. "I was taught long ago that love was weakness, Raven. You just didn't know that. I know what I'm getting myself wrapped up in, but you don't. Like you said, you're my student. You barely even know what the word love is, but to fall for the person you were supposed to hate...it makes me wonder who's side you're really on."