Bringing a Sword to a Firefight

"No."

"But you haven't even let me finish yet!" Percy whined to his teacher.

"Any idea that starts with you entering a tournament with firebending masters is a bad one." Piandao replied curtly

"But I can win it! I know I can, I'm already better than Fat and I can even challenge you!"

"Fat is an old man much past his prime. And while your swordsmanship skills are quite excellent you will need more than that to go up against master firebenders in an open arena."

"What about my bending?" Percy blurted out without thinking. Piandao finally turned from the open window and his painting, levelling his student with a fierce glare.

"In all the years you have been in my care that has to be the single stupidest thing you have ever said. Maybe the stupidest thing I have ever heard." He said with cold neutrality not giving away even the barest hint at what he was feeling.

"What if you and Iroh vouch for me? With the support of the Dragon Of the West and the greatest swords master in the fire nation no one could question my loyalty." Percy reasoned carefully.

"Fire lord Ozai can and will challenge it. Odds are you will be executed as a Water Tribe spy within minutes of revealing your bending." A spark of irritation showing through his calm facade .

"I can't just stay in this fucking castle for the rest of my life!" Percy thundered, desperation clear in his voice. He needed to be free to move around to do more than just endlessly train.

Piandao could understand this as he too had a bit of a wild youth, but he was much older then Percy when he left home. Percy was barely more than a child even if years of training had caused him to grow. Percy was no longer the scrawny boy he had been when they first met, his intense training coupled with the almost ridiculous amounts of food the boy ate had caused him to pack on some serious muscle. His shoulders had broadened and his hair had grown shaggy, a curtain of raven black hair obscuring his sea green eyes and tan skin.

There was another reason Piandao was reluctant to let Percy go. He had grown attached to the boy, Piandao had never had children of his own and Percy seemed to be exactly that to him. The son he never had, even if Percy had only been in his care for two years, the young swordsman reminded him of himself when he was at that age. Wild, impulsive and desperate to see the world. He knew that if he didn't do something to appease the boy he would do something reckless and get himself killed. Piandao knew this because it was what he would have done at that age.

"The tournament is not for some time. I will send Iroh a letter asking his opinion as he knows his brother best." The old noble conceded reluctantly. "But you must swear to uphold whatever decision Iroh comes to. Alright?" He added before Percy could get to excited. It did little to dampen the demigods joy.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Percy rushed forward grabbing the surprised man in a massive hug before rushing outside to practice his swordsmanship and bending.

Master Piandao watched with a small smile on his lips as Percy dashed around the training yards, destroying training dummy's at a rate that rivalled even the most elite of firebending squads. His smile quickly faded when he thought of the situation that he was in. Percy was young but he was also one of the best swordsmen Piandao had ever seen and his skills were still progressing, and that's without even bringing in his remarkable waterbending. The water seemed less like a tool to him and more like it wanted to serve him. It was a crazy thought but Piandao had met master waterbenders many times before and seen how they worked. For them the water was like his sword, an extension of them. But for Percy, the water seemed almost like it was a living thing.