Chapter Twenty-Six

Seeing Mary in her drenched, dishevelled state pushed the entire conversation with Mr Roach from Helena's mind. Momentarily forgetting everything but the distress of her friend, Helena moved wordlessly towards the front door, closing it behind the shivering Mary and gently leading her towards the staircase.

"See to it that a hot bath is prepared," urged Lord Alverton, eyeing Mary with concern. "Mr Roach and I shall step into my study in the meantime, so that we might agree the terms of my offer."

Helena bit her lip, reluctant to leave her father with Mr Roach. Lord Alverton had not left his chambers for a number of months; there was every danger of him being severely weakened after such a prolonged period without exercise.

With a particularly violent shiver from Mary, however, Helena decided she would have to trust her father's judgement. Dearly hoping she was not making a grievous mistake, Helena helped Mary up to her old guest bedchamber before ringing for a maid to have a bath drawn.

By the time Dorothy arrived to prepare the bath, Mary had successfully peeled off her sodden dress and underclothes, donning a robe which Helena had found for her instead while she waited. Dorothy could not seem to decide whether it was the return of Helena to Alverton Hall or the friendship between her mistress and Mary which caused her the greatest surprise; yet true to form, the maid said nothing on either subject.

While Mary thawed out in the steaming tub, Helena had half a mind to see how her father fared, or perhaps to seek out Joseph – yet instead she found herself hovering resolutely outside Mary's door, wanting to be available immediately should Mary have any desire to discuss what had happened with Sir Edmund.

"There is nothing to speak of," muttered Mary numbly once she and Helena were left alone in the bedchamber with Mary bathed and dressed in a fresh set of clothing.

Helena sighed, unwilling to force the issue. She could not help but recall how, faced with a similar scenario with Dorothy only a few months previously, Helena had refused to alter the topic of conversation until Dorothy had spoken what was on her mind. It made Helena cringe to think back to how demanding and prying she had been until only very recently. Although she had only ever wished to be of assistance by prompting her friends to discuss their troubles, Helena had learnt that people were more likely to share them in their own time.

Sure enough, after a lengthy period of companionable silence, Mary heaved a great sigh and began to pour forth her emotions.

"It is hopeless," she said dully, voice cracking. "He has no desire to know me now he has learnt of my true station in life."

This sounded most unlike the Sir Edmund that Helena knew – yet she decided it best not to contradict Mary.

"I cannot bear it, to think I have been so foolish!" she continued. "How could I have ever persuaded myself that such a gentleman would wish to be acquainted with a lady's maid? Mr Roach speaks the truth – I am a senseless creature indeed."

Now this Helena could not hear without contradicting.

"Mr Roach speaks nothing but evil falsehoods!" she cried. "Would a senseless creature have had the capacity to think so quickly as you did when rescuing me from those beasts at the inn?"

Mary blushed at the compliment, reluctant to see herself as a woman of any worth.

"It would seem Sir Edmund does not share your opinion," she replied meekly.

Helena bit back a sigh of exasperation. How frustrating it was, to see two people so perfectly in love, yet each unconsciously placing obstacles in the other's way! She now began to see how it must have been for Louisa whilst she and Joseph tiptoed about the issue of their love for each other.