Chapter Thirteen

The following morning, Helena was granted a brief moment of ignorant bliss, before all the unpleasant memories of the previous night came back in a rush. Remembering the horrors she had experienced, Helena could not repress a shiver of fear, instinctively drawing her shawl about her as if to protect herself from invisible danger.

"Good morning," came a soft voice from the other side of the room.

Helena jolted, before cursing her foolishness. It was Mary – only Mary. Nothing to be frightened of.

The maid sat curled on her bed, arms hugging her knees to her chest. In the pale, wintry light shining through the dusty window, her face looked gaunt, the vivid green of her eyes standing out where they were visible between the thick curls tumbling about her face.

Once upon a time, Helena would have noted Mary's dishevelled appearance with distaste – but this morning, she noticed only the kindness and familiarity of Mary's youthful smile.

"How are you feeling?" enquired Mary gently.

It was rather a silly question, thought Helena – but Mary meant well. She always did; it was only that she tended to speak before considering her words.

"Oh – I am – I am alright, thank you," replied Helena eventually.

This was far from the truth, of course – and Mary's expression of disbelief told Helena she was not fooled either – but what was there to say? Helena had no desire to discuss her ordeal further. It was done with; thanks to Mary's timely arrival, a far worse situation had been prevented. There was nothing to do but hope that in time the painful memories would fade.

"I would understand, you know," Mary was saying, as Helena realised belatedly that she had not been listening to a word the girl was saying.

"Pardon?" queried Helena, reddening.

"I would understand if you wished to return to Alverton Hall today, rather than accompanying me to London," repeated Mary.

Helena pursed her lips, considering this. On the one hand, she could not ever recall yearning for home as strongly as she had this past day – dingy inns on deserted roads were certainly not the place for her.

Then again, was Alverton Hall the place for her at present? What was there for her, save an irate cousin waiting to lecture her, a father with no intention of speaking to her, and an entire neighbourhood of people who no longer wished to be associated with her?

"No," replied Helena, heart constricting with pain as she realised the young girl sitting opposite her was the sole ally she had at present. "I made a promise to you, and so I fully intend to honour it by journeying with you to London today."

A flicker of surprise crossed Mary's face; she had evidently expected Helena to abandon her. It seemed there was still a great deal each lady had to learn about the other. For her part, Helena was beginning to realise how much more there was to Mary than the common, unladylike person she had first met. Away from the sheltered community of Alverton, Helena had learnt just how many more skills there were to be learnt than playing the pianoforte, or knowing how to flirt with gentlemen.

Mary had neither of these skills – yet she had thought quickly and bravely come to Helena's rescue in the face of grave danger last night, whilst Helena herself had simply fainted away in distress.

No, Helena would certainly not be thinking of Mary as a foolish young girl ever again.

***