Chapter Two

Helena couldn't ever recall feeling so mortified.

As someone who had spent a great many years agonising over correct etiquette, Helena usually took pride in being the one who knew exactly what to say, behaving with perfect tact and discretion in every situation. Never before had she insulted a stranger in such an abhorrent way as she had poor Miss Thorpe! Helena dearly wished the floor of the entrance hall would suddenly cave in, enveloping her entirely.

What made matters even worse, if anything, was Miss Thorpe's reaction to the ordeal. Helena had been expecting a cry of outrage or even an insult in return; she had certainly not been prepared for the hearty laugh which escaped the woman's lips during the painful silence which ensued. Clearly Miss Thorpe thought the entire thing a joke!

Helena had found herself at a complete loss for words, spending several more uncomfortable seconds attempting to stutter out an apology, only to have it waved away unconcernedly by Miss Thorpe. Just as Helena had been thinking she might burst into tears and flee the entrance hall, they had been interrupted by the conveniently-timed announcement that tea was ready, leaving Helena with no choice but to show Miss Thorpe upstairs to the dining room and introduce her to Lord Alverton.

The remainder of the evening passed in a daze for Helena. Barely able to concentrate on anything other than her unbearable mistake, Helena spent almost the entirety of the time in stunned silence. She was, therefore, completely oblivious to the fact that on more than one occasion Miss Thorpe selected the wrong set of cutlery to eat with, in addition to taking far larger mouthfuls than etiquette dictated one should. If Lord Alverton noticed, he made no comment, clearly delighted to have a guest with them at Alverton Hall.

A typical evening at Alverton Hall would see Helena entertaining her father on the pianoforte; this particular night, however, Helena found herself feigning a headache and retiring to her chambers, too embarrassed to remain in Miss Thorpe's company. Helena could only hope that she would be offered the chance to apologise properly in the morning.

Sleep did not come easily at the best of times, and this particular night was one of much tossing and turning – so Helena was not best pleased to be woken abruptly and far too early the next morning by a flood of bright light entering her bedchamber as the heavy velvet drapes were thrown open.

"What time is it?" she mumbled irritably, blinking blearily in the sunlight now bathing the room. Dorothy, her maid, knew that Helena liked to be woken at seven 'o' clock precisely each morning; it was not like her to neglect her mistress' wishes.

Eyes now adjusted to the brightness, Helena suddenly noticed that it was not, in fact, Dorothy who stood at the window. No, Helena's eyes almost bulged out of their sockets to realise that it was in fact Miss Thorpe currently occupying her bedchamber at this unearthly hour!

"Miss Thorpe!" squawked Helena, quite forgetting to speak politely as she marvelled at the sheer impropriety of the situation. "Whatever is the meaning of this?"

"Good morning, Lady Helena!" Miss Thorpe greeted her brightly, as if it were perfectly normal for her to be barging about in Helena's bedchamber while Helena herself was still asleep. Her voice was far too loud for this time of the morning, and Helena groaned internally at the excessive noise. Miss Thorpe, however, seemed not to notice, turning back to the window with a contented sigh.

"Is it not just the most pleasant of mornings, Lady Helena? Do you not live for days as beautiful as this? Why, when the sun is shining so, and the sky such a shimmering blue, I cannot thank God enough for granting me the chance to live in this country. One could not imagine anywhere prettier than England."