Chapter 1: Birth of a God's bride

"Congratulations, she's a girl!" The old midwife announced as she held the bloody baby in her arms. 

The mother, doesn't seemed to look really happy as she was expecting a boy. In the olden days, boys were more cherished as compared to girls.

The mother carried her crying baby in her arms. She wiped off the remainings off her baby's face and her daughter instantly calmed down.

The night sky was clear, and the moon was brightly lit. It was considered a good omen and everybody from the village believed that the baby girl was a lucky one. 

"She is going to have a good husband in the future." The old folk in the village blessed when they came over to see the baby.

"What is her name?"

"I haven't thought of one." The mother replied and the elderly shook his head.

"You should hurry over to the temple and get a good name. You shouldn't waste too much time." The people advised and the next day, the mother decided to bring her daughter to the fortune teller to wish for a lucky name.

"Goodness gracious...Madam, you must have done a good deed in your past life. Your daughter's a reincarnation of a Goddess that had passed away in the Heavens million years ago." The fortune teller revealed after he counted the baby's eight characters.

"What do you mean?" The mother was surprised and confused.

"Her red string is tied with a God, he has been waiting for her for million years to bride her again." The fortune teller explained but the mother doesn't seem to want to believe.

"Unfortunately, she may be a God's bride, but she must die at the age of 18 to be returned to the Heavens."

"No way! Please tell me, what must I do to save my daughter?" Tears trickled down her face as she pleaded the fortune teller to change the fate of her daughter. 

The fortune teller furrowed his brows in frustration as he went ahead to flip through his book. He stopped at a certain page and closed his eyes, turning the bracelet of beads as he calculated.

He came to a stop and sighed. He slowly opened his eyes, and looked at the anxious mother as he advised.

"From today onwards, you must pay your respect to the God in the temple everyday. You shall never miss a day of praying or the consequence would be that your baby would die."

"Are there any other ways to prevent the death of my daughter?" The mother asked.

"There is. To wed your daughter off before her 18th birthday. The boy's eight characters must be suitable with your daughter's or she's going to have a hard life forever. The boy's family will also be cursed with bad luck in the future."

"Do come and find me when you have potential candidates."

With that, the fortune teller reached for a blank slip of paper and wrote a Chinese character on it.

"Here, name your baby girl this and she will be safe from bad omens." He passed the slip of paper to the mother.

Qin (情), meaning love as explained by the fortune teller, was written.

//

Even though Qin's parents were secretive about their daughter's fate, it was no sooner that the entire village knew about her because of how often the mother was finding love for her daughter.

There were indeed a few candidates who volunteered to tie the knots of their son to Qin as they believed she would bring luck to the future family.
But the eight characters usually doesn't match.