Whacking Ellie's arm Kate moved ahead, retorting in a sing song voice, "Same to you."

They walked down the grassy, huge front lawn of the orphanage where the brunch would be held. Only one more day remained to the grand event. There was going to be stage set up at one side of the lawn, near the oldy oak trees, teenagers from schools around and some men from the neighborhood suburb were busy putting it up. It was really heart melting seeing all these people of different ages and societal ranks coming together with this one unconditional purpose of helping these children.

Standing at the curb, Ellie was muttering to herself in frustration. 

They had called for a taxi approximately half an hour ago but it was nowhere in sight yet. However, it was not unusual for a taxi to arrive this late in the city, some taxi drivers immensely enjoyed fashionably getting late. Someone had yet to figure out the reason behind this behavior. 

"We should have said yes when Victor offered to send his office car for the day, like always But no, you had to point out that we were not out doing office work and bla bla...," Ellie grumbled. "There's just too many mosquitoes here and I'm wearing a f*cking maxi dress, nasty blood suckers are all partying inside!"

Truly, Kate could see Ellie shuffling like a maniac. Kate thanked the heavens for she was wearing pants.

"Why don't you walk around a bit?" she suggested.

"I was thinking just that," saying, Ellie raised the dress to her knees and furiously stomped away.

Kate sighed, waiting patiently at the curb. There was an option to walk home which was not that far, but she had yet to climb up to her full strength. It would be completely unfair to literally fall to her knees midway home and make her friends stress even more. They had been already doing so much for her.

The sky was cloudy at that moment and the haywire wind in an otherwise hot day was relaxing. Cricket bugs kept creaking in rhythm from the bushes and trees behind her, if listened with more attention - the bug-song had the power to make someone precariously dizzy.

Minutes passed by, she was tapping a foot to the ground while glancing at Ellie who was still stomping and jerking away her dress, more or less, fifteen feet away. Hearing screeches of a car, her eyes snapped towards the road.

There was their taxi.

It was inching forward to pull over at the side of the road. She took a step forward smiling, simultaneously, opening her mouth to call for Ellie.

Screeching noises came from the other side of the road, too. The difference was that it was ten times louder and sounded very much ominous while drifting closer in a haste. Instinctively, she jerked her head towards the noise. Her mouth fell open in fear, and in shock, seeing as a truck was headed straight in her direction and in an insane, devilish speed. Screaming could be heard around while her eyes stayed frozen on the metal monster. Memories flashed in her mind, of a time, when almost similarly a car had crashed into her rendering her the most horrifying experience to last a lifetime.

Ellie's ear piercing screams along with the taxi driver's rabid curses faded in the background.

But then, "Kate!" someone bellowed almost at her ear and grabbed her arm, yanking her none too gently out of the truck's way.

She gasped by the sudden movement and the next moment felt herself crashing into a body that hit the ground with a gasp of it's own taking her down with him. She found herself panting for breath and same was the person who had yanked her out of a possible death's way. His body rested beneath her, she realized he had deliberately cushioned her fall and he had done that with his own flesh.