XXIV. My Not So Great Idea

He places what's left of the cigarette between my lips and I give one deep drag looking into his eyes before he throws it away

He places what's left of the cigarette between my lips and I give one deep drag looking into his eyes before he throws it away. Holding my face he gives me a quick kiss before we go back to the crew. After twenty minutes of preparation, we start shooting the dinner date.

Cherry, Daniel's wife, has gone out of town to visit her mother and get away from Daniel. He decides to take Anna to a fancy restaurant and this is how it goes.

THE CAMERA PANS ACROSS THE RESTAURANT AT EYE LEVEL. THERE'S CONTAINED CHATERING AND LAUGHTER. BUT ANNA AND DANIEL EAT THEIR MEAL IN SILENCE.

ANNA GLANCES AT HIM. SHE PUTS THE CUTLERY DOWN.

ANNA

What did you do, Daniel?

DANIEL LOOKS UP FROM HIS PLATE, STONE FACED. HE PURSES HIS LIPS LIGHTLY AND SHAKES HIS HEAD.

DANIEL

Why do you always assume I'm the one who did something?

ANNA PRESSES HER LIPS TOGETHER.

ANNA

She wouldn't have left so randomly and alone to her parents' house, in the middle of the year for no special occasion or holiday. You have no kids to use as an excuse.

DANIEL

You think you know so much, don't you? Yeah, we had an ugly fight but she left of her free will. Maybe is because she actually cares about her family or she just wants to get away from me. But are you still going to cry about it?

ANNA

I'm ruining yours and her life.

THE TEARS START CROWDING ANNA'S EYES.

DANIEL TAKES HER HAND AND HOLDS IT.

DANIEL

If anything, you have enlightened my life. Your smile, your intelligence, your presence are always the highlights of my day.

ANNA CAN'T HELP A SMILE, LOOKING SHYLY TO THE SIDE. DANIEL SMOOCHES HER HAND THEN SMILES.

DANIEL

If Cherry loves me, she would thank you for making me so happy.

ANNA

This feels almost sadistic.

DANIEL

It happens. To cut what's bad off, someone has to bleed. Now it's only a matter of knowing who's letting the blood flow.

ANNA

Of all the possibilities, I know this person isn't you.

ANNA ACKNOWLEDGES ALL HE SAID IS WRONG BUT TO AVOID ANY MORE DISCUSSION SHE KEEPS ON EATING HER MEAL. DANIEL SIPS HIS WINE WITH A SMIRK.