14

Originally published: Jun 9, 2017
Jasper's POV

I was walking down the sidewalk with my Pomeranian, Chloe, following close by my side. We always take walks at midnight because during the day their are so many people that Chloe starts to get nervous and just sit in place instead of walking. I don't mind walking her at night though. It was calm and quiet.

I hum a tune that I had heard earlier today then noticed that Chloe had stopped. "What's wrong girl?" I asked her. She was staring in the direction of a trash can full of trash. "Do you smell a cat or something near the trash can?"

Then she started to bark and started to try to run over to the trash can. "It's just a trash can." I tried to keep walking but she was persistent to go to the trash. I sigh. "We'll go over there and see what you're barking at." I turned and walked over to the trash can.

Chloe jumped up and started to rub her front paws on the side of it. "Chloe, oh my gosh there is nothing ther-" I looked inside the trash can and saw a hand sticking out from under one of the bags. "Oh my god!" I picked up the trash bags and threw them to the side to reveal the body of Connor. He was beaten and bloody.

"Connor!" I shrieked. He didn't move. I grabbed his arm and pulled with all my might to get him out of the can. I sat him on the ground and checked his pulse. It was faint but it was there. What had happened to him? Who would do something like this? I put my hands on his chest and started to give him CPR.

After about two minutes he started coughing up water. "Connor!" He took sharp intakes of breaths as his eyes shot open. "Oh my god, Connor! I thought you were dead!" I cried in happiness. His eyes shot to me. "Jasper! You saved me..."

"Of course I did! You were lying motionless in a trash can!" I grabbed him and gave him a hug. He hugged back weakly. "Who did this to you?" I asked as I propped him against a nearby wall. "E-Elliot and his friends."

"Elliot? The new guy Elliot?" I asked. He nodded. "Oh my god. I can't believe that guy! The next time I see him I'll-" he raised a hand to stop me. "No. Don't. You'll just get hurt."

"But-"

"I'll be fine."

"But you almost died!"

"I said I'll be fine."

I stayed quiet and looked him in the eye for a moment before releasing a sigh. "If you say so." Suddenly Chloe ran up and jumped into Connor's lap. "Hello there~" Connor lifted a hand and pet her head. "Who's this cutie?" He chuckled softly. "This is my dog, Chloe." I stated watching her as she nuzzled her head into Connor's hand.

"She's adorable." I just sat and watched him pet her for a little bit before remembering that he was hurt. "Oh. Connor we should get you home." I got up off the ground. Chloe jumped out of Connor's lap and I helped him up off the ground. "Thanks again, Jasper."

"No problem. Just saving the life of one of my best friends." I smiled at him. "Where do you live? I'll help you get home and treat your wounds."

"Um..is it okay if we just go to your house?"

"Um, sure I guess."

I helped him as we made our way to my house. Chloe following close behind.