Chapter 8 | Glowing Lights

History was definitely my least favorite subject. Especially with Mr. Wellson teaching it with his monotone voice and straight lined face and half closed eyes. In all honesty, he himself seemed to be bored out of the world of The Second World War.

He probably wasn't good friends with Hitler.

But then again, who was?

I sigh, sinking deeper into my seat to the point where I could fall to the marbled floor with one more simple movement. Mr. Wellson walks beside my desk, giving a sigh too before continuing to speak on and on. I let my eyes drift in the direction of the window a row from me, watching the grey sky in awe. The clouds were roaring outside, threatening a hard rain as a welcome for Autumn. To say the least, I am thrilled for the touch of a raindrop.

"Lindsay, I swear, if you don't put the phone in your bag I will keep you all after class for a fun history activity."

I snap my head the sound of that sentence, glaring daggers at Lindsay along with the rest of the class to put her phone away. Even Mr. Wellson was begging her with his eyes to put her phone away, despite his strict voice. "Lindsay, put that phone away. You'll get to view pictures of your crush after this class ends. Please." Mike says, his voice a hearable whisper. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, the blushing girl tucked her phone inside her bag quickly while keeping her head down.

The bell rings, and we all hurry to get out of class, and I could've sworn I saw Mr. Wellson doing a happy dance upon hearing the ringing melody.

Stalking out of class, a hand holds a tight grip on me, spinning me towards the person making the sudden move. As my eyes register the one looking at me pleadingly, I feel my fingers tighten into a fist in annoyance. "What do you want?" I say, moving my eyes to the students passing by. "I want to talk." he answers, his voice devoid of emotion. "Let go of my arm." I say, my voice low and demanding. Theo let go of my arm, apologizing for holding it so tightly.

"Look, I want to make things right between us."

"Aren't you a bit late? It's been almost a week since that happened."

"I just- I don't know how to do this. I've never been in a situation like this."

"Do you remember that promise you made me?"

He was silent at the sound of that as he walked beside me. I looked at him quietly, taking in how his hair hid his face, yet still didn't manage to hide the hard look in his eyes. "Yeah.." he said after a beat, giving me a hesitant glance. "Well, you broke it when you tried to determine how and with whom I'm going where. You can't decide things for me, Theo. I haven't even known you for three months. Let alone a year. And even if I have, you still won't have the chance to tell me what to do and what not to do. Especially if you're having an argument about it with another person like I don't even have my own opinion and my own voice. I appreciate you looking out for me, but I am not a baby and I don't need a babysitter, that's for sure."

He looked at me with shame dancing in his eyes. "I'm sorry. I really didn't mean it, and I wouldn't have done it if I had known you would be so upset about it. I'm sorry, Mabelle."

"It's fine. Now go. You have detention to attend to." I replied, giving him a slight shove in the direction of the room. A slow grin emerged onto his face, a glint entering his eyes. "Have you been stalking me, Lemonade Girl?" he asks, looking into my eyes daringly. "The whole school knows you sprayed a rose onto the window glass of a teacher, Porch. It's hard not to assume that you have detention." I said, rolling my eyes at him. "Did you just roll your eyes at me?" he asked, his movement stopping and eyebrows shooting up. I rolled my eyes again at him, earning a laugh and a whisper before he ran to detention.