Chapter 7 | Two Stands for Trouble

Chapter 7 | Two Stands for Trouble :

  "This is what comes of having a heart, even a very small and young one. It causes no end of trouble, and that's the truth." 

-Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led The Revels There

Listen to  Young Homie by Chris Rene

✾✾✾

I wake up slowly, wanting nothing but stay in bed all day. Unfortunately, such dreams don't happen when you've got school to attend to. And so I groan, rolling onto my side and burying my face in the warm pillow while snuggling further into the warmth of the bed.

My alarm clock then rings, making me sigh in desperation. I load myself off of the bed and shut the alarm clock off, then do some stretching exercises to refresh. The coldness of the room is a stark contrast to the lovely warmth of the bed, and it makes me hurry to grab some fresh clothes and get a nice hot shower.

In about twenty minutes, I am already sat in Beth's car, with her talking nonstop about - you guessed it - Halloween. "If I tell you my idea, will you stop talking about it?" I ask her, sighing beforehand. She nods her head frantically, her lips sealed shut. "Theme is angel. Final decision is yet to be made." I say. "Okay." she replies shortly, making me snap my head in her direction. "I'm sorry, what was that?" I ask, tilting my head jokingly as a grin makes its way onto my lips. She laughs and gives me a light push, mumbling something I could not understand a word of.

Sometimes, I suspect she speaks multiple languages and then just mutters curses under her breath in every single one of those languages.

We pull up in the school parking lot, as faces and faces of students flash by as they all walk into the school. As we walk through the gates of the school, I lean over to Beth's side and nudge her as I take notice of Garret, Ward and Theo standing next to each other silently.

"Yeah?" she questions, sliding her cell phone back into her pocket a few beats later. "What's up with those three?" I say, tilting my head slightly in the boys' direction. She follows my motion, her eyebrows knitting together once she sees them standing like statuses next to each other. "I've no idea, I'll question Garret about it later. Plus, Theo needs a few friends here and since we've already made some sort of getting to know each other, I think it'd be nice if we include him in our group of friends." she says, shrugging nonchalantly.

I nod my head slowly as I think about what she said. Theo probably didn't make much friends around here ever since he arrived in this town. Showing him kindness would be nice, I guess. After all, he's spending a whole year in this town. Might as well make him feel at home.

We reach the boys, and the looks on their faces pull into brightened smiles. "Hola, friends!" Beth chirps happily as she waves a hand. "Friend?" Garret asks, tsking under his breath as he looks elsewhere. "Garret, my love, the best thing you could be in a girl's life is a combination of her boyfriend and best friend." she says, smirking as she does so. I chuckle slightly at her reply and look over to Ward and Theo.

Ward smiles once he catches my eyes and waves a hand as I do the same. Theo, on the other hand, looks at me with a grin. "What's there to grin about, Porch?" I ask, folding my hands and looking at him skeptically.

"Well, isn't that a lovely way to start our conversation for the day."

"Stop avoiding the question, Porch."

"And here I thought we were over the surname-calling stage."

"I'll be calling you dumbhead if you don't tell me what you're grinning at."