Begin Again

She looked at her reflection in the mirror by her front door. Her 2 inch high heels made it so she couldn't see her above her eyebrows. She looked good in her opinion. She took a deep breathe as she flattened out her dress. She pet Meredith and stepped outside.

Taylor sighed as she closed the door to her apartment. The cool Autumn air blew against her coat. She was worried for today. She was finally going on a date after her last relationship. Taylor locked her door and made her way to the café she agreed to meet her date at. She put in her headphones as she walked. Immediately, 'If I Believe You' by The 1975 started playing. She remembered Dianna saying the song made no sense, but it meant everything to Taylor.

Taylor walked the long way, just in case her date wasn't going to be there. She pushed open the door to The Coffee Shop, looking for her date. She and Dianna used to go to Stumptown Coffee Roasters, but she couldn't stand to go there now. She expected the woman the be late. She didn't know much about the woman, other than she has short brown hair, a beautiful face, piercing green eyes, and that her name is Karlie.

Taylor finally saw Karlie next to a table by the window. She was smiling a brilliant smile, waving her hand excitingly. Taylor took her earbuds out and put her phone in her purse. She began walking towards her date. She was wearing black jeans that hugged her legs incredibly, along with a blue and yellow flannel, and an old, white pair of converse.

When she finally approached Karlie, she noticed how tall she was. Not many people were taller than Taylor, especially when she was wearing heels. "Hello." Karlie finally spoke. Her voice was sweet like honey and smooth like sanded wood.

"Hi." Taylor responded with a light smile. Karlie stepped behind Taylor and pulled out the chair. Taylor sat into the chair. "Thanks.." Taylor mumbled, blushing a little bit. "Oh it's not a problem." Karlie replied, smiling at Taylor even more. Karlie thought this was a simple gesture; to Taylor, it was much more.

"So, what things do you like?" Karlie questioned, putting her elbows on the table and resting her head on her hands. She looked very interested into what Taylor had to say. It was a nice feeling. She always felt useless and annoying with Dianna.

"Well, I like literature, movies, music, poems, cats, cheesy television shows, cats, and really bad jokes and puns." Taylor looked at Karlie's moss green eyes staring into her icy blue ones.

"Okay, tell me a joke then."

"Umm, What do you do when you see a really good guitar player on the streets.?" Taylor smiled a bit, just thinking of the joke. Taylor remembers telling that joke to Dianna. Her smile faded. Karlie hummed in response. "You put a dollar in their G string!" Taylor laughed and shot finger guns from across the table.

Karlie immediately erupted in laughter, throwing her head back dramatically, drawing a bit of attention to her and Taylor's table. The way she laughed reminded Taylor of a little kid that heard the newest joke in school. She never got this reaction out of Dianna.

Over the course of the next hour, Taylor and Karlie talked about anything and everything. Taylor felt so alive. Over the past 8 months, Taylor was depressed, severely depressed. She didn't eat much, she only went outside when it was 100% necessary, and she only talked to her  cats. It was a sad time for her. She hates looking back at that state in her life. She remembers those nights she couldn't stand to look at herself, so she decided to make it pitch black and cried herself to sleep. Dianna broke her beyond fixing. She made Taylor believe that love was to only break and burn and end.
On a Wednesday, in a café, she watched it begin again.