He relaxed then, his smile returning. “There are advantages to being the godfather to so many children, particularly when one grows up to take holy orders. I think you’ll find the Reverend Phillips quite amenable to the idea.”

“That’s convenient.”

“Isn’t it? Of course, the private ceremony he performs in the parish church will not be legal under current ecclesiastical or civil laws. Fitzwilliam Darcy is—for all intents and purposes—long dead and does not exist in the government’s computer system. However, our union will be valid in the eyes of God and that is what matters most. Later you can arrange a second, public wedding for William Bingley that will satisfy all the administrative elements of the civil registration process. You will then be able to invite as many of your friends and family as you wish.”

“I don’t have a big family. Apart from a couple of aunts and uncles I’ve not seen or heard from since my dad died, it’s just Amanda and Michelle.”

“Still, you ought to tell your stepmother you’re getting married.”

“Why? She never told me when she married my dad. Amanda talked him into eloping instead. They even did the whole Gretna tourist thing in the old blacksmith’s shop over the anvil. I was staying with my Aunt Rose while they went on a week’s walking holiday in the Lake District. When they came back I had a stepmother.” She snapped her fingers. “Just like that.”

William wrapped both arms around her. “I imagine their marriage was an unpleasant shock for you.”

Liz had never understood her father’s choice of wife. “They had so little in common, each having different interests and hobbies. The only things that bound them together were his love and his money. She basked in dad’s adoration, although the only time I ever heard her say she loved him back was when he bought her something.”

“I understand how you feel, but I still believe we should inform her we’re getting married. Family is important.”

Liz laid her head against William’s chest as she imagined how Amanda would take the news. “You do realise she’ll think I’m pregnant.”

“Don’t be silly. Of course she wouldn’t think that.”

“You don’t know her. It’ll be the first thing that pops into that empty head of hers.”

He gave her a comforting squeeze then stood up, offering his hand. “Forget Amanda for a minute. She’s not worth getting upset about. I have something that will take your mind off your family issues.” He pulled her up and towards the library door. “There’s something I need to give you.” William pushed the doors open and flicked a switch.

Liz blinked as hidden lights above the book cases lit up the painted ceiling, brightening the dark room. “You want to give me a book?”

He laughed. “No, not a book.”

The room impressed her no less on her third visit, as leather bindings of all sizes, colours and condition sat shoulder to shoulder on the crowded shelves. “Did you buy all these?”

William paused next to one of the shelves that sat beside the chimney breast. “No, my father and grandfather collected most of them. My own contribution has been modest by comparison.”

Liz’s eyes dropped to a lower shelf, as she recalled their previous discussion. “You bought those books at the Roxburgh auction.”

“Yes, I did.”

He’d been living in London in 1812. A very wet May, he’d said. Who could have guessed he was speaking from experience? “Was Elizabeth with you at the time?”

“At the auction? No, we were not married then; nor had I any expectation that we would ever be. At the time I doubted we would ever meet again. It was only later that summer, when I returned home, that I discovered her making a tour of the gardens at Pemberley—that moment you recalled during the regression.”

Liz felt her cheeks begin to glow. “Please don’t remind me. Just reliving Elizabeth’s memory was embarrassing enough. Why did she think you would be angry to find her at Pemberley?”

“Perhaps because a few months prior to that meeting I had asked her to be my wife, and she had rejected me in no uncertain terms.”

 “I can see how that might have been awkward for both of you.”

“Indeed it was.” He reached behind one of the books. She heard a click and the whole shelf swung forward like a door, revealing a wall safe behind it.

“Hey, that wasn’t on those blueprints.”

“There are a couple of things the plans neglected to include. I had them drawn up especially for the electrical contractors.”

“Don’t tell me, one of your godsons was a draughtsman?”

“Still is. He has a very successful practice in Manchester.” Dialling the combination, he opened the safe and brought out a battered black box, about the size of three stacked telephone directories, which he placed on his writing desk. There were a dozen small cases inside of different sizes and colours. William chose one nestled in the corner and opened it, offering it to Liz.

The light bounced off the facets of the diamond, sending sparkling reflections dancing across the leather bindings. She’d never dreamed of wearing anything a quarter of the size. “It’s beautiful—”

“I’m happy you think so.” William plucked it from the case and took her left hand.

Liz pulled away. “But I can’t accept it. Not a family heirloom. It wouldn’t feel right.”

His grip felt a little firmer the second time as he slipped the ring on her third finger. “You would reject a personal bequest in your favour? This is rightfully your property.”

“No, it can’t be.”

He shook his head, smiling. “It belonged to Jane and she gave it to me just before she died to keep for you.”

“Jane Bingley knew about me?”

“No, but she knew what I was waiting for, and I think she hoped it would happen. The idea that her sister might come back in some form kept her going after Charles passed on. I’d given Elizabeth my mother’s engagement ring and she was wearing it when we buried her. Jane wanted you to have hers. It’s not as old, but quite pretty don’t you think?”

“It’s beautiful.” Liz held her hand up to study the ring. It fitted her finger as though it had been sized for her. She wanted to accept, but she’d never felt comfortable receiving gifts.

William took her hand and pressed a kiss along the back of her knuckles. “You wouldn’t refuse your sister’s dying wish.”

“Of course not, but…”

He turned her hand over, running his lips across the inside of her wrist. The whisper of his breath against her skin left her feeling faint and a touch giddy. “It suits the shape of your fingers. I couldn’t have chosen anything more perfect.”

She swallowed as he continued his exploration of her hand. “I couldn’t poss—”

He closed the distance, his mouth coming down upon hers, stifling further protest as he kissed her into submission. When his lips left hers it took a few seconds before her eyes fluttered open. His dark eyes were staring down into hers with an intensity that left her feeling weak.

“Are you sure you have to return your friend’s car today?”

Liz wanted to stay at Pemberley with William, more than anything, but the responsibility for returning Natalie’s car weighed heavily on her. “Yes, I really should.”

“And you still insist on returning to work?”

She nodded. “It’s the right thing to do, at least until we’ve had chance to talk about our future.”

William raised her hand until all Liz could see was the diamond sparkling on her finger. “Then at least you’ll have something to remember me by while you’re gone.”