Chapter Eighteen - part 2

“So, William,” Amanda Pargeter said, choosing the seat next to him. “Tell me a little about yourself. I can’t imagine how Elizabeth managed to meet anyone, particularly someone so handsome. She’s only interested in old things and dead people.”

Darcy coughed to cover his smile. “We have the same interests. I have a soft spot for old things as well.”

“I can’t understand her fascination with the past. It’s unnatural, and deadly dull if you ask me. Did you and Elizabeth meet at work?”

“In a way. Liz has been doing some research on my house.”

“Ah, well, that sounds more like it. She’s always been a bit odd, raving on about old buildings. A few years ago she was mad keen on one place. She'd even stick a picture of it on her bedroom wall whenever she came home from university in the holidays. It was one of those gorgeous stately homes, must’ve had fifty bedrooms at least. I don't know why she bothered. It's hardly the sort of house Elizabeth could aspire to, even in her dreams. It had a strange name...Pommerleigh, Pemer… Promb, no…Pemb—”

“Pemberley?”

“Yes, that’s the one. Do you know it? They’ve probably turned it into a hotel, or one of those business conference places. If not, it’ll be falling to pieces by now. Properties like that must cost a fortune to maintain.”

He bristled at the idea that he would allow Pemberley to fall into ruin. “I know the house. It’s in excellent condition.”

“Where do you live?”

His habitual desire for privacy kept his answer vague. “Derbyshire.”

“I’ve never met anyone from that part of the country before. I hear the Peaks are stunning.” Amanda’s gaze travelled down his body as though she was thinking of buying him. She tapped her fingers on her knee. “Impressive…ah, rock formations, or so I’ve been told.” She raised her eyes and winked at him, then smiled. “I doubt Elizabeth appreciates the scenery. She’s not the outdoors type. Too busy burying herself in books to experience the wider world. What business are you in, William?”

The implications behind her words sickened him and he struggled to keep his voice even. Although he'd considered Mrs Bennet to be unrefined, even she would never have lowered herself to this extent. “This and that. Some agriculture, a little property.”

“You can always measure a man’s worth by what he does for a living and how much money he makes. I hope you haven’t been affected too much by the economic downturn.” She leaned closer as her hand slipped across the space between them to rest on his thigh.

He dislodged it with a nonchalant brush of his hand and crossed his legs, hoping she wasn’t too obtuse to recognise his subtle hint. “I find everything goes in cycles and make a point never to enter into anything for short-term gain.”

She smiled. “Then I imagine you miss a lot of interesting challenges. Have you met my daughter Shelly?”

Darcy wondered when Liz would get back. He never enjoyed making small talk with obnoxious strangers. “Yes, I—”

“She finished a fashion design course earlier this year, but jobs are almost impossible to come by. I’ve always maintained a girl’s place is in the home. That’s what I used to tell Elizabeth. If she learned to cook and clean and do the laundry she didn’t need a fancy degree. Men are looking for girls who can keep them happy, not tell you when some stranger died or what year they fought a silly war.”

“Actually, I believe extending university education to women was one of this country’s better ideas. Females with academic qualifications seem to possess qualities that lift them above the average.” He glanced at Shelly, who had returned her attention to her fingernails. “There is nothing worse than modern girls who are unable to offer even the most basic of conversation, or manners.”