Chapter Twenty-two - part 2

Liz had never imagined so many people could fit inside Mrs Reynolds’ tiny sitting room. She’d been there for more than an hour, preparing for her wedding as they shared sherry and Madeira cake. The old ladies surrounded her, working their magic as they painted her nails, fixed winter blooms in her hair and slipped the satin dress over her shoulders.

“Beautiful,” Miss Fisher murmured as they stood back to inspect their handiwork.

Mrs Reynolds nodded. “Yes, quite lovely. If he doesn’t fall in love with you all over again, I’ll eat my hat.” She picked up a wide brimmed pink and cream confection from the sideboard and fixed it to her hair with a long pin.

The ladies fussed around Liz as she walked through the village to the chapel. Mrs Thompson held up the train while Miss Fisher kept a tight hold on Henry, lest the over affectionate terrier should jump up at Liz and leave dirty paw prints on the material.

As they entered through the stone porch, the ladies spent a few moments adjusting her dress and straightening the train until they pronounced her ready. Most went to claim their seats, leaving Liz alone with Mrs Reynolds. “What do I do now?” she whispered.

“They'll fetch you when it’s time. It is a shame your father couldn’t be here to walk you down the aisle. Are you certain you don’t want someone else to stand in? Any of the lads would be happy to offer.”

Liz couldn’t imagine anyone but her dad claiming that role, so she shook her head. “It’s not St. Paul’s Cathedral. I think I can get down to the front in one piece.” The image of her tripping on the hem of her dress, or twisting her ankle made her stomach churn. She sucked in a breath. “I’m going to make a mess of things, I know it.”

The old woman squeezed her hand. “You’ll be fine, dear. Don’t worry. William will be by your side. Just repeat everything the Reverend Phillips tells you.”

As Liz waited, she listened to the murmur of voices amplified by the high ceiling of the chapel. She poked her head around the corner, expecting to see a handful of villagers, but there were so many more people filling the chairs than she’d expected. It was standing room only as Mrs Reynolds slipped into the last space on the front pew. She'd imagined the bride’s side of the church would be deserted, but that was no longer a concern. The village had already claimed her as one of their own

She spotted William standing in front of the congregation speaking to the Reverend Phillips. Her eyes traced the strong line of his jaw, his straight nose and gentle smile. This was the man that would be her husband from this day forth, for as long as they both shall live.

For a moment, Liz doubted she was doing the right thing. They’d known each other less than two weeks…in this lifetime, at least. Having an insight into Elizabeth’s memories, she knew William hadn’t changed much over the years, but what if she had? Her life and her upbringing had been entirely different from that of Elizabeth Bennet’s. Surely that had to alter the dynamic of their relationship?

Liz felt the weight of William’s unspoken expectations press down upon her. Could she make him as happy in this life as she had during their previous time together? At this point she had no idea, but she was determined to try. She loved him too much to do otherwise.

William turned towards her and caught her gaze, holding her like a rabbit transfixed by headlights. Then he smiled, causing her heart to dance. His power to affect her with only a look had not faded. She watched him walk towards her. The deep blue frock with shiny buttons suited his height and stately bearing. Underneath the formal coat his cream and gold embroidered waistcoat and white cravat with diamond pin seemed the only concession to the celebratory atmosphere. He looked like he’d stepped out of one of those old portraits he kept in the attic.