Chapter 36: Sisters Before Misters (Hailey)

Magsimula sa umpisa

Justin's eyes went wide at my questions, and Hannah yelled my name.

So of course that's when someone knocked on the door; I brushed past my sister's frozen boyfriend and flung the door open.

"Speak of the devil." I smiled at my best friend who was holding a bag from Walgreens. "Is that the what's it?"

"Yeah." His eyes darted behind me. "Bad time?"

"Perfect time!" I took the bag from him and pulled Justin by the back of his shirt. "Justy was just saying how his misses your pissing contests or dick measuring or whatever the fuck boys do."

"Yeah?" Mason ran his tongue across his bottom lip, and I forgot my thoughts for a second.

"Hm hmm." I shoved Justin out the door. "I'm calling dibs on Hannah and the house until Christmas. Call you two then."

I shut and locked the door door before anyone could protest then spun around to face an even more pissed off Hannah.

"What the fuck, Hailey?" She stared at me in slight horror.

"I'm sorry I kissed Justin the other night." I apologize. "It's inexcusable, I know. Wanna play TenTen?"

TenTen was our personal version of Twenty Questions, but we get ten questions each that can be about anything and we must answer truthfully.

"Sure." Hannah said as I walked past her and to the bathroom. "What was that about?"

"I understand you love Justin and hate Mom." I sighed as I pulled everything out of the bag and placed them on the counter. "And you won't tell me about what happened with Mom if he's around. Instead, you would shut me out and tell him everything. I do it to you, but with Mason instead of Justin."

"Your turn." She leaned against the doorway and watched me rip open the box of hair dye.

"Do you feel guilty about telling me I'm like Mom?" I looked at her reflection in the mirror instead of her directly. "Because you shouldn't."

"I did up until you and Mason ditched us for fireworks the other night." She answered. "It's the truth, Hailey."

"I've known that before Mom left us, Hannah." I told her. "Like I said, you shouldn't feel guilty."

"Why did you ditch us without a signal text?" She watched as I read the box.

"Mason and I didn't feel like hanging out with the three of you and decided to head back to the Inn early." I didn't look up. "We forgot to text you because I tripped over a curb, and Mason was more focused on bandaging my ankle than texting that my phone died and we left."

"Oh." I glanced up and saw her surprised reaction right before it disappeared.

"Why are you drinking?" I set the box back on the counter.

"Because it makes me numb and forget about everything." She said quietly before walking into the bathroom. "What's up with the hair dye?"

"It's on my list." I shrugged. "Dying my hair, not getting a box of hair dye in a Walgreens' bag."

"You didn't need to clarify." She smiled and grabbed the box. "Having too much fun as a blonde?"

"It's my turn, Han." I teased her as I divided and clipped my hair up like the box said to.

"Shut up, Hail." She pulled the gloves on that were in the box. "I'll help you."

"Thanks." I wrinkled my nose at the chemical scent that filled the air when she opened the bottle and mixed the dye. "What did Mase tell you in the hospital? He mentioned you visited him but refused to tell me what you guys talked about."