Upon hearing that, Xiao Ming’s face contorted into disgust and anger. Marry the 3rd prince? What bullshit! That would be a complete humiliation to his manhood and family.

“What?! A man marrying another man? That is utter blasphemy! Father, I will do no such thing!” He stared sternly into his father’s eyes, and stated, “I am a man! It is a complete humiliation to not only me but you as well!”

Xiao Feng did not blink or look away. He held Xiao Ming’s gaze and replied firmly, “You have to. It has been decreed by the Emperor. There is nothing we can do.”

“But father –” yelled Xiao Ming, but he was immediately cut off.

Xiao Feng flourished his long sleeves in anger and frustration. “Hold your tongue! Not following an imperial decree is considered treason against the Emperor and the kingdom! Do you mean for us to commit an act of treason and condemn our whole family line?!”

Xiao Ming scowled and mumbled, “I – I do not!” He angrily turned away from his parents and brother. Quickly, he stomped out of the family meeting hall.

After Xiao Ming left, his brother Xiao Heng tried to mediate Xiao Feng’s dark mood. “Father, do not be angry at Xiao Ming. I understand him. Even I would not agree to such a preposterous command.”

“Hm” answered Xiao Feng. He heaved a frustrated sigh and sat back down. Currently, he felt like a huge hammer was banging inside his head. He massaged his forehead.

Zhu Ehuang held onto her husband’s sleeve and, despite the obvious, she hopefully asked, “Husband, why does the Emperor want the 3rd prince to marry our son Xiao Ming? Does he not know that Xiao Ming is a male? Or perhaps, he meant to have Xiao Ruo but mixed up the names?”

Xiao Feng shook his head from side to side and said, “That is not the case. The decree clearly stated ‘son’. It cannot be a mixed up. Also, the Emperor is clearly using an old law to marry our son to the 3rd Prince.”

Xiao Heng asked Xiao Feng, “Father, that law has not been used for so long. Why is the Emperor enforcing it now? Does it have something to do with the crown prince position?”

Xiao Feng’s face turned serious as he spoke, “Yes. Indeed, this has to do with the crown prince position. I suspect that the Empress and the Empress Dowager are the reason why the Emperor is enforcing this old forgotten law.”

“What do you mean the Empress and the Empress Dowager are behind this?” asked Xiao Heng.

“The first prince, Prince Tian Renshu, is the son of Empress Mu Xia; and Empress Mu Xia is the niece of Empress Dowager Mu Yu. Both Empress Mu Xia and Empress Dowager Mu Yu are from the Mu family. They want the first prince to maintain the position of crown prince and one day inherit the throne. If the first prince succeeds the throne, the power and influence of the Mu family will grow immensely. However, if another prince were to outshine the first prince, the position of the first prince as crown prince would be threatened. The 3rd prince happens to be that threat. The victorious end of the recent war has brought much support and praise upon the 3rd prince for the critical role he played. The Emperor has also shown much favor upon the 3rdprince for his intelligence and skills. Thus, I believe the Empress and Empress Dowager seeks to eliminate the 3rd prince.”

“And they want to do so by forcing the 3rd prince to marry a man?” asked Xiao Heng with a confused expression.

“Forcing the 3rd prince to marry a man is only the first step. This step would prevent the 3rd prince from having sons as well as diminish his reputation. Not having sons eliminate further competition and threat. Damage to his reputation will sever some of the 3rdprince’s support. The step following this one, I believe, would be to find a chance to eliminate the 3rd prince.” Explained Xiao Feng.

“If that is their aim, why does the Emperor decree to marry Xiao Ming to the 3rd prince? By doing so, wouldn’t the 3rd prince gain our support?”

“That I am not 100% sure. It may be that who the 3rd prince marries is out of the Empress and Empress Dowager’s control. I suspect the Emperor's hand was forced when he made this decree; otherwise, why would he do this to a son he favors. By marrying your brother, it is clear that the Emperor wants to protect the 3rd Prince. But, doesn't the Emperor know that this will affect me as well? Does he not fear that I may betray him out of spite for this humiliation?”

Zhu Ehuang touched her husband on the shoulder. “Husband, perhaps the Emperor trusts you to help the 3rd prince. Nonetheless, I still do not want our little Xiao Ming embroiled within the wars of the princes. Can’t you seek an audience with the Emperor and ask him to change his mind.”

Xiao Feng turned to his wife and gently patted her hand that was on his shoulder. He tried to ease her mind. “I will go see the Emperor. We can only hope that the Emperor will change his mind. Otherwise, there is nothing we can do but to abide by the imperial decree.”

-------------------------------------------

That's it for chapter 4. I'll see you guys in chapter 5. Bye. 😘❤