The Beginning

Georgette Heyer once wrote: There's nothing so mortifying as to fall in love with someone who does not share ones sentiments. Words like these mean nothing to a person until a personal experience can be attached to it. An experience so painful it leads a person to search literature for mere words that resonate with the multitude of emotions heartbreak hits us with.

Just as I experience, on my first day back to school after the summer holidays.

"Seriously?" I whisper, my heart shattering to pieces.

"Sorry," he replies not sounding sorry at all. "I just have other things to focus on and I don't have time to be in a relationship."

"Okay," I murmur looking at the ground, desperately holding in my tears. Fourteen years old and he has other things to worry about? Yeah right.

"I hope we can still be friends," he offers a smile. I nod stiffly before turning around and walking away, trying to keep a blank expression on my face to cover the immense hurt blaring in my chest.

First day back was going great! Note the sarcasm.

Desperately looking around for my girls, I spot them sitting at our usual table and I stop. Instead of going over to them and bawling like a baby, I rush into the girl's toilets and let a couple of tears fall. If I try too hard to keep them in, I'll probably burst into tears later and that's not an option. It's the first day back. Jesy spent the summer away and this is the first time since she left that we're spending time together. I don't want to ruin the day by bringing up drama about Zayn.

I feel some of the tenseness in my heart shift and decide to hold the rest of the hurt in until I get home. Giving it a few minutes, I allow my red eyes time to look semi-decent and then emerge from the bathroom. Luckily the bell, signifying the end of break time, rings just as I step out so I go straight to my lesson and this means I don't have to face the girls giving me the third degree. Even though my eyes look normal again, the girls will still see the pain behind them.

I am understandably quiet in the next lesson and then it's lunchtime. My other friend Gigi watches me carefully, probably realising something's wrong, so I smile as widely as I can to make her think otherwise. Somehow I manage to convince the girls I am incredibly tired, so when I spend the whole hour with my head down on the table, no-one questions it. I silently beg no-one else knows yet. That can wait for tomorrow. The bell rings again and I sigh, knowing I only have two lessons left and then I can go home and cry as much as I feel like crying.

After the long school hours are finally over, I run to my locker to get my jacket and leave the building. Outside the school gates, I see my best friend and smile weakly. Noticing the look on my face he bids his friends goodbye and runs over to me.
"You okay?" Alex asks. I grunt in response and tears begin to fall. "What happened?"

"Zayn dumped me," I say for the first time, my voice breaking.

Immediately, he puts his arm around me and squeezes me tight. When I look up at him, I see a rage of anger in his eyes and a determined look on his face as he speaks, "I'm going to kill him!"
I immediately start to protest. Zayn and Alex are really good friends, and I don't want him to fight Zayn just because of me.

Actually, who am I kidding?

I'd LOVE to see Alex beat him up. If they had a fight, Alex would wipe the floor with him. He's much stronger than Zayn. But looking past how angry and upset I am feeling I know it would be wrong to let him do so. Knowing Alex and his protectiveness, he'd probably just go up to him and punch him in the face. Plus, he'd be in a lot of trouble and could even get suspended for attacking another student unprovoked.