Prologue

"Stop kicking the dirt and come over here."

The little girl beamed up at her dad as she walked over to table where he was sitting. When she reached him, he turned her around, and covered her eyes with his large hands.

"Are you ready for your surprise?" He asked excitingly. The little girl could hear steps coming closely towards her. Her heart began to pound.

"Yup!"

The little girl felt her dad move his hands from her face and she opened her eyes.

"Happy Birthday, Ally!"

Both her mom and dad yelled. Ally looked at the homemade birthday cake. Pink with red roses and five red candles.

"Thank you, Mommy! It is so pretty!" 

"You outdid yourself, honey."

Ally closed her eyes and made a silent wish that this day could last forever. She opened her eyes and blew out the candles. She looked at her dad while her mom cut out a large piece of cake with the largest rose on top.

"Joyce, she is going to get sick eating all that cake." Her dad had a teasing tone to his voice.

"It is only once a year. And she knows what her sugar limit is. Right, Ally?"

Ally kept her eyes glued to the piece of cake, a greedy smile on her face as she nodded in agreement. She barely had the plate in grasp before she dug into her slice of cake.

************************************

"I told you she wouldn't stop eating that cake until it was all gone."

Ally rolled over, miserably full, in her sleeping bag as she closed her eyes, and prayed her mom would come in and rub her stomach.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, honey?"

Ally opened her eyes and sat up, watching as. Her mom crawled into the tent.

"Can we stay another day?"

Ally laid back down when her mom sat next to her. She closed her eyes as she felt her mom run a hand across her forehead, moving her bangs back, then planting a kiss.

"We will see, honey."

Ally smiled as her mom rubbed her stomach. Her smile relaxing as her mom hums softly, the sound of a wolf howling barley heard in the distance.

************************************
Ally opened her eyes as she heard unfamiliar whispers near the tent.

She looked over to where her parents should be and found their sleeping bags empty. A cold chill touched her spine as she got up and reached for the tent zipper.

"Mommy...Daddy..." Ally unzipped the tent despite her shaking hands.

When she walked out she was greeted by two soft arms being engulfed around her. Gently Ally felt her feet leave the ground as she was lifted into the woman's arms.

"Shhhh....sweetling. You don't need to see this." The woman turned her around, cupping the back of her head, making sure she did not see the blood splatter that covered the campsite. The woman's voice became calm yet assuring. "All that matters is that you're safe now."

"Where are my Mommy and Daddy?" Ally's voice shook as she let tears poor out of her eyes and onto her small cheeks.

Ally looked up at the elder woman carrying her. The moment Ally's head left the safe shoulder of the woman, she the saw pools of blood surrounding the campfire her parents built earlier. The woman pushed Ally's head back into the crook of her neck. The woman looked down and gave her a sad smile. "Your parents told me to take care of you. You will be safe with us."

Ally closed her eyes as she heard wolves howling in the distance. The sound gave the little girl a chill that she felt down to her very soul.

"What is your name sweetling?"

"A-Ally..."

The Alpha's PrideOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara