Chapter 35: The Devil's Tale (Hannah)

Start from the beginning

Before I could gain enough courage to walk across the hall, he walked over and stopped beside me, one of his hands tucked in his jacket pocket.

"Hannah, right?" he questioned, earning an obnoxious giggle out of me.

"Yeah."

"Okay, so my cousin just went through this and I don't know if you're aware, but you're bleeding." every ounce of energy drained out of me, embarrassment taking its place.

What are the chances of me getting my period the one day I decide to finally talk to Justin?

"I had my friend get this for you." Justin pulled a familiar folded white object, genuine sympathy in his own eyes. "Don't worry, she just bought it."

"Oh My God." I whispered, feeling my eyes starting to sting out of embarrassment.

My freaking crush was giving me a pad and had seen a blood stain on the back of my pants.

"I know you probably don't want to go home, so I was thinking you could use this for the day." He shrugged out of his dark hoodie. The same hoodie that he had been wearing for as long as I could remember. "You know, tie it around your waist so no one can see the stain." I took the jacket from him hesitantly, my hand trembling as I reached for the pad.

"I'm Justin Davidson, by the way." he outstretched his hand, but mine were trembling too much to come close to wanting to shake his.

"Hey, don't cry." he touched my shoulder, sending thousands of butterflies flapping their wings in my stomach, "It's okay. I just don't want anyone to make fun of you." he said it so softly, quietly, that I had to fight the urge to hug and thank him.

"Look, here's my number if anyone tries to talk crap. Just give me a name and I'll be sure to find the bastard and force him to apologize." he took my phone from me and put his contact into my phone while I watched him, still reeling in too much shock to say or do anything.

"I'll see you around then, Hannah." he said with a small smile before heading back over to his friends. I stared after him for a moment before quickly wrapping his jacket around my waist and hurrying toward the Girls Bathroom.

*

"Mason's Dad is picking us up. I'm riding with them." Hailey said the second we met outside the school. I frowned, scanning the parking lot for Mom's Buick as I responded.

"Does Mom know?"

"I'm guessing so. She didn't get back when I sent her the text." she shrugged before giving me another look of sympathy and hugging my side.

"I can't believe you got Justin's number." she said with a laugh.

"It wasn't how I wanted it to happen." I swallowed, "God, he probably thinks I'm disgusting now."

"If he thought that, he wouldn't have given you his number and jacket. Giving you his jacket means you'll have to see each other again, giving you his number means he wants to see you again." Hailey explained, as if she were some sort of relationship genius.

"You think so?" I whispered, shifting on my feet nervously.

"I know so, sis." she paused and started waving her arm frantically, "I'll see you at home. Love you!" I watched in silence as my mom hurried off in another direction, toward Mr. Banks' car.

I stood out there, in the nippy weather for over a half hour. The car was almost entirely clear of cars, Hailey was long gone. I felt as if I were alone.