Chapter 26 (Christmas Special: part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Silly. It's your choice" she told her daughter, making a motion with her hand before setting it in her lap. "So, have you made it?" "Not quite. I'm going to ask Robert to get him back for the Servants' Ball" she had a little smile on the edge of her lips.

"But will that happen after today?" "Well, he can come and stay, whether or not we feel like dancing" she smirked as she sipped her tea. Lady Violet had a rather disgusted look on her face, not believing what just came out of her daughters mouth.

I smirked and shook my head as I chewed on my piece of cake. "So, Lilly, are you going to tell us about the lovely fellow who got you that locket?" Lady Rosamund asked, Lady Violet turned her attention to me.

"I will, in time. But not quite yet" I looked down nervously. "Can you at least tell us what he's like? And if he is handsome?" She smirked, I chuckled nervously.

"Well, he's very handsome. He has Raven black hair, and the most gorgeous pale green eyes. And when he smiles I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be the one to make him smile. And his laugh is so contagious, it's music to my ears. He's very different verses other people"

"How so?" Lady Rosamund asked. "He has trust issues, all because of his father" "He doesn't have a mother?" "No, she died when he was younger. He and I got off on a bad start, but we grew fond of each other. He is kind, sweet, caring, and livid towards me. And I couldn't be more lucky to have gotten to know him" I looked between them. I couldn't help the blush that crept up my neck and onto my cheeks.

"What's his name?" I looked to Lady Rosamund. "Like I said, in time I will tell you" I wish I could tell them, but there was and still is a big commotion about Sybil and Tom. I didn't want someone to tell me that I'm just a child with a crush and doesn't know what love is. Times are changing now, it's 1920, I'll wait until the time come.

~~~~

"When will they be back?" Mrs. Patmore asked Mrs. Hughes as her and Mrs. O'Brien returned from York, there they attended Mr. Bates's trial. "I'm not sure. They took Amma to an inn to help her catch her breath" Thomas walked in behind Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. O'Brien.

"How will we ever face her?" Daisy asked. "With kindness, I hope" responded Mrs. Hughes. "When will he be hanged?" One of the hall boys asked. I lightly hit the back of his head, he turned to look at me, I gave him a look.

"There is no talk about that when she gets back either" I corrected him. "Her Ladyship wondered if you could give her an account of the day" said Mr. Carson.

"Of course" Mrs. Hughes stepped forward. "I'd like to say I may have been called for prosecution, but I do believe in Mr. Bates's guilt" "neither do any of us, Mrs. Hughes" I spoke up, she gave a small sad smile as she turned to walk away.

"What about you, Mrs. O'Brien? You're very quiet" popped up Lady Rosamund's handmaiden. "I'm sorry to have been part of it" Mrs. O'Brien choked out sadly as she turned to leave the hall.

She stopped in the doorway as Thomas spoke to her. "There'll be a new Valet here, won't there?" I heard him ask her. "I don't often feel selfless. But when I listen to you, I do" she spat as she walked passed him.

He turns his head sideways as she left, he looked towards me, I shook my head.

~~~~

I stood beside Matthew, arms linked. He held Mr. Swire's Erne in his other arm. I held the umbrella over our heads as Mrs. Crawley stood beside her son holding hers.

After a while o waiting, Mary walked towards us, Matthew cracked a small smile as she walked closer. He broke arms with me and walked to put Mr. Swire's ashes by Lavinia's headstone.