Chapter 16

Thank you so much to all of you reading to those who have left comments. You're all are amazing, thank you and God bless you.
________________________

I walked downstairs carrying two jugs of water, I walked into the kitchen. "Is it alright if I get these filled?" I asked "Of course" said Mrs. Patemore.

One of the kitchen maids grabbed the jugs "Thank you" I rubbed my hands together. "Is Mrs. Hughes down here?" I asked Mrs. Patmore.

"Yes, she's in the servant's hall" I smiled "Thank you, I'll be right back for those" I heard Mr. Carson. "But they live down at the hospital" I walked in.

"Mrs. Hughes I wanted to asked yo..." I stopped as saw a kind and familiar face "Mr. Bates" he smiled "Lilly" I hugged him "So, his Lordship's given you your job back?" I asked happily.

"He has, we've made up. And I'm glad we did." He told me as we pulled away. He looked me up and down. "You're a nurse?" I nodded "Yes"
"Along with Lady Sybil" Anna added.

"Nurse Crawley, please" Thomas said as he walked into the servant's hall, cup in hand. The room went silent and looks of displeased on everyone's faces as he walked over to sit at the table.

"So, we have both returned, you and I. A couple of bad pennies" Mr. Bates said almost gritting his teeth. "I haven't" Thomas said as he sat his cup onto the table.

"Thomas means he's not here as a servant. He managed the house. He's a Sergeant now" Mrs. O'Brien added as Thomas sat down in the chair beside her.

"I take orders from Major Clarkson. He runs the place on behalf of the army medical corps" he told Mrs. Bares with one arm resting on the table.

"Yes another reason to pray for peace" Mr. Bates remarked, Mrs. Hughes and I smirked at his comment. "I heard about William from his Lordship" he said to Daisy.

"And Captain Crawley" he said to all of us. "I'm sure they're all right" Anna reassured. Just then we heard footsteps running towards the hall.

"Sorry I'm late. Has the dressing gong rung yet?" Asked Mr. Molesley as he came in to join us out of breath. "You're not late, Mr. Molesley, but..." Mrs. Hughes tried to finish but was cut off by Mr. Carson.

"Mr. Bates is back and you reminded me" Mr. Molesley looked to Mr. Bates. "I'd better ring it now" said Mr. Carson as he walked out of the hall and up the stairs.

"Are you staying for good?" He asked Mr. Bates, hoping for him to say no. "I'd need a crystal ball to answer that, but I'll stay for now" he replied to Mr. Molesley.

Mr. Molesley had a disappointed look on his face. "Have you been filling in for me?" He asked "I was going to, starting tonight, yeah"

"Then you'll be relived to see me" Mr. Bates smiled to Mr. Molesley. "Oh, tremendously" Mr. Bates looked down to Mr. Molelseys hands.

"What's this?" He asked "it's a new kind of shoehorn. I bought it for his Lordship" Mr. Molesley explained.
"That's very kind of you, Mr. Molesley, thank you" he held out his hand as Mr. Molesley handed it to him.

The gong rung from upstairs, everyone started to scurry to get back to work. "Daisy, fetch me some more tea" he demanded as she started to leave the hall.

"Thomas, I've got din..." She pointed towards the kitchen "Hot, this time. And it's Sergeant Barrow to you" I clenched my jaw.

"Go help Mrs. Patmore, Daisy. Don't worry about the tea" she nodded and went to the kitchen. "It's not for you to be barking orders" he stated.

"If you want the damn tea, Thomas, get up and get it yourself" I grumbled. "It's Sergeant Barrow to..." He started "You can take that and stick it up your ass, right now"