Chapter 19

Can I just say how beautiful Lavinia is!! I mean, Mathew and Mary are my OTP, but look at her, she's so cute!! Anyway lol enjoy!!
__________________________

"Ought I to be jealous?" Sir Richard asked Robert as they stood at the window, watching Mary push Mathew across the lawn in his wheelchair.

Robert just looked to him then looked away as he pursed his lips. He turned away from the window. "I'm sorry, what were we talking about?" He asked him.

Isis was sitting down by Robert, I got her attention as she got up and trotted over to me. I rubbed her ears as she practically sat on my leg.

"I was asking about Haxby Park. I'm taking Mary there tomorrow" he told Robert. "Our Haxby Park? Why, are the Russell's selling?" Edith asked Sir Richard as she paused her task of putting the books back on the shelves.

"Not officially, but I'm told they're open to offers" he said to her and Robert as he walked away from the window. "Sad. The Russell's and the Crawley's have been neighbors for centuries" he said sadly.

"They're not living there anymore" Sir Richard pointed out. "It'll be strange for Mary. She's been going to that house ever since she was a little girl in a party dress" Robert reminisced.

"We all have" Edith stated as she put a book away. "There's nowhere better near Downton" Sir Richard told him. "I'm not sure how comfortable it is" Robert admitted.

"Well, it'll be comfortable when I'm finished with it. Central heating, modern kitchens, bathrooms with every bedroom. It's all possible" he explained to Robert.

"Sounds more like a hotel" he muttered as he turned back towards the window. "Major Clarkson" Mr. Carson announced as Robert turned away from the Window once more.

"Good morning, Lord Grantham. Lady Edith, Lady Lilly. Sir" he greeted all of us. "We've had a requests. A Canadian Major had asked to come here because of a family link with the house.

We've taken officers from his regiment before, but I wanted to be sure you'd no objections" he explained to Robert. "What's his name?" Edith asked from behind him.

"Gordon. Patrick Gordon. He was with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry at Passchendaele. Caught in a blast and burned rather badly, I believe"

Robert sighed "Ah, poor fellow. Well, he's perfectly welcome. I'm not aware we are connected, but you never know" Dr. Clarkson bowed "Sir" he smiles to Edith and I as he walked out of the small Library.

~~~~

I was sat downstairs beside Jane as she sewed, along with Mrs. O'Brien who was sewing beside her. Anna was in front of me cleaning Mary's jewelry with Mr. Bates beside her.

I was sat fixing the buttons on my uniform jacket. "I've never worked at a house where the Valet and the Housemaid were wed" Jane said to Anna.

"It's unusual, I agree" she smiled to her as she dipped the rag in cleaner. "I hope it doesn't break us up. Having you two apart in a hold of your own, all special. While the rest of us middle on for ourselves" Mrs. O'Brien admitted.

"You sound as if you're jealous" Anna teased her as she jerked her head up from her sewing to look at her. "Oh, I'm not jealous. I just don't want it to spoil things" Mr. Bates scoffed.

"Why? Because we've all been such pals until now?" She just looked at him, then down to the table. Mrs. O'Brien isn't that bad, she was when I came here, but she's changed.

Ever since we made our peace four years ago, she had become kinder. Yes, she has been causing trouble for Mr. Bates because she talks with Thomas, but she's actually been a friend to me.