Chapter 39

The next morning, Kiera awoke to the soft tempo of Analise's knocking.

"Kiera?" Analise's voice sounded muffled through the door, but Kiera was already awake. She had woken up at some point early in the morning, and unable to go back to sleep, she decided to watch the equivalent of a "sunrise". It was fascinating, really; watching the blacken sky bleed, brighten with a burning intensity until it seemed even the far horizon was aflame. To watch the stars appear was calming, like the sunshine after a storm. Although beautiful, Kiera couldn't help the pang in her chest at remembering the sun. However, on the brighter side, she awoke to no pain from her throat, and a quick check in the mirror confirmed that her brand had fully healed. Like coals from a fire, the angry red of the night before had fizzled into the smouldering black brand of the ankh.

"Come in." Analise walked in, timidly poking her head around the door before fully entering. Kiera gave a calming smile.
"Hi." Analise gave a bashful smile, before briskly walking over to the cupboard. Stretching, Kiera pulled herself out of the bed to walk over to where she was rummaging around.

"What is is today?" Analise turned around, holding a rather elegant but plain blue dress.

"I'll just be showing you around some more. There's a lot to cover." Slipping the blue dress over Kiera's head, Analise motioned for Kiera to sit down as she started to do Kiera's hair.
Kiera's mind could not help but flick back over what those two servants had said in the library. As innocent as Analise seemed, she had been talking about Kiera- and seemingly in a less than positive light. She had to watch her back.

***

What stuck up most about Analise's tour, was where Kiera was shown outside. Although awash with foliage, all the plants were coloured black. Much like the trees she had first encountered upon arriving at the Abyss, every plant, bush and even every flower was stained ebony. Analise had assured her it was natural, healthy even, but Kiera still felt faintly chilled by the sight of them.

The centrepiece of the garden was a sprawling hedge maze. It towered over Kiera, thick enough that you couldn't see anything through it. And it was the same clouded charcoal as the red of the foliage. Under the brazen sky, it looked calming, but at night, Kiera could imagine it becoming something more insidious. She could imagine running through the depths, the walls blending with the sky, only the splitting gaze of the stars to keep her company.

Shaking herself, Kiera followed Analise as she continued with the tour.

***
"What?" They had not soon gotten back to the room when Analise announced that Kiera would be eating with Ramatee again. It was getting dark, Analise's unabridged door dragging long into the day.

"Yes, I'm sorry." Analise's voice was quiet, and she submissively lowered her eyes. "You will be eating with him every night." Kiera reeled back from the new information presented to her. A tiny voice in the back of her head poked at her though, told her not to be caught so off guard all the time.

Kiera let out a deep sigh. It carried the weight of all the things that had been suddenly thrust upon her fragile shoulders. She feared she would crack under the constant pressure.

Of course, Ramatee would want to eat with his 'fiance'.

"That's fine." Analise gave a small smile. "Just give me a minute."
"Sure, I'll wait just outside." Analise turned to go, but suddenly Kiera lashed her hand out and lightly grabbed her wrist. Analise turned around in surprise.

"Ana, I think I can make it to the dining room by myself."

Analise started to object, but she must have seen the pleading in Kiera's eyes as she quickly nodded.
"Yes, of course." Retracting herself from Kiera's grasp, Analise ran her hands down her apron. "Goodnight, my lady." With another timid smile, Analise left, closing the door softly behind her.

Alone once more, Kiera felt like she could breathe again. Moments by herself were rare, and she stole them away when she could. There was always someone near, always someone nearby, and she felt that every second she was being scrutinised. As far as she could tell, the servants hated her. Aside from Analise, not once had any of them even thrown a smile her way. When she passed, they turned to stare. There were no outright insults, but it was the little things they did. The way they turned away from her, or cast a spiteful look her way.

But she could understand that. She could understand that she wasn't liked by them, or wanted by them. She keeps meaning to introduce herself, but the opportunity never comes up.

Kneeling, Kiera pulls up the bed's skirt. She intended on discarding the ripped shreds of her dress from all those nights ago, only when she pulled herself down to look deeper under the bed- spaghetti

It was gone.

At first, Kiera didn't believe it. Her eyes must be deceiving her. Reaching a hand under, she desperately felt the dark space for any sign that it was there. But it wasn't.

Coming to sit back upright, Kiera's heart hammered. How could she had been so stupid- of course, with the sheer amount of servants, they were bound to have cleaned her room at some point. Blood rushed to her cheeks. Someone had found the dress. Her shameful secret. Sure they may have just thrown it away..... Kiera wouldn't hedge her bets on that.

Kiera hastily wiped her hands on the front of her dress, suddenly feeling nervous. Taking a stilling breath, Kiera waited a minute for her hands to stop shaking. Her hand squeaked on the door knob as she exited, mood dampened by the thought of another stiff dinner with Ramatee.

***

They sat in the same silence as before. When the food was laid out, Kiera saw no sign of Shelia, which left her a tad deflated. Tonight's meal was spaghetti, a favourite of Kiera's, but she found she had no appetite. She sat twirling it on her fork, head on her hand as she stared despondently at her food. She was trying her best to ignore Ramatee, but she could not ignore his heated gaze on her face.

"What do you think of the Keep?" Kiera looked up, her head still on her hand. Ramatee's face looked genuinely interested, his eyes thoughtful as he gazed down the length of the mahogany table. Kiera's ripped her gaze from those piercing amber eyes to stare back at her food. She felt, rather than saw, Ramatee's disappointment. "Kiera." Ramatee's voice was pitched low, almost thunder-like, but it held no malice. "I am willing to give you time. I do not expect you to like me straight away. I have chosen you, and I will stick by my choice. I will stick by you." The sincerity of his voice caused Kiera to glance up suddenly. His face reflected his voice, and Kiera could not stop the blush from creeping her way onto her face. His expression was sombre, humble almost, and Kiera remended her earlier views of him. In a reluctant compromise, she put the fork laden with pasta in her mouth, and grudgingly started chewing. The pasta was divine, but she did not let her face show it. Her eyes only darted up for a second, but she caught the victorious glint in Ramatee's eyes.