Chapter 34

When the door opened, Kiera felt an involuntary shiver chase down her spine. The temperature within was considerably colder and goosebumps broke out across Kiera's skin. As blind as she was, she found herself focusing on what else she could since within the room. There was a sense of space as her muffled tread on the carpet echoed throughout the room. She could hear Analise's slight breath as she guided her down the path. Apart from their slow progress, the room was silent and suffocatingly so. Finally, the grip around her arm was extinguished, and Kiera was left completely alone.

"Kneel." Well, maybe not completely.

Kiera instantly complied, lowering herself with shaky knees to the floor. She found herself bowing her head fearfully, folding her hands in her lap. The power behind the voice made her shudder, and she suddenly felt overwhelmed with fear.
She got it now; the use of the blindfold was a fear tactic. It took away a vital lifeline she needed, and thus she was powerless.

"Kiera Wilder." Kiera was not surprised the voice knew her name. Pitched low, the voice demanded immediate obedience. It's orotund nature left Kiera feeling small. Kiera's mind was veiled by an overbearing wash of fear. Sitting there, shaking on the floor, Kiera realised he was waiting for a response.

"Yes." Her voice was taut and quiet. 

"You belong to me. I own you." Kiera wanted to bristle at the words, but at such an unease, she was ashamed to realise that she nodded along, wanting to appease him.

"Yes." In a more sounder state of mind, Kiera would've been disgusted with herself; but in that moment, she was as blind mentally as physically. She was in no position or frame of mind to be protesting.

"You will become my wife." Kiera's blood chilled. Inside, she was screaming at herself to say something, to tell him, no, to scream at him no, but instead of the violent defiance she wanted to throw in his face, all she did was nod solemnly. Even without seeing, she let her gaze drop to the floor, showing a display of submission she didn't think she ever had in her life. She just felt so scared.

She heard the man- or in her head, the beast- draw himself to stand, clothing rustling as he pulled himself to his feet. Kiera sunk lower into the floor, making herself appear as small as possible. There was a strange urge to please him, and immense pressure to recognise him as her greater. Kiera knew without a doubt that he was Ramatee. Her mind couldn't stop flashing back to Mera's shattered face, brought on by his hand. It all clicked- the way Lark and Annalise had treated her, the Keep's deserted feel, her luxurious rooms even. That wasn't a standard to those new to the Abyss. That was a standard set for her.

Kiera flinched when she felt a hand whisper on the back of her head. She felt her blindfold loosening, his hand being drawn away, and with it, the black ribbon. However, as she heard it fall to the floor, she did not elect to open her eyes. Instead, she kept her face pointing to the floor, unwilling and unable to lift her gaze.

"But Kiera," quickly, Kiera felt her fear ebb away. The irrationality of her fear caused it to fall away, left it to dissolve in her mind and Kiera was returned her rational thought. Kiera's eyes snapped open, to take in the booted feet in front of her, nestled into the red carpet she was seated on. "I'm not going to force it upon you, however." Kiera felt her usual fire return to her, the veil of fear discarded. Her insides boiled with the vile demands spewing from his mouth. She wasn't his. Kiera hauled herself up, her emotions her own once more as she balled her fists to stare directly into the face of Ramatees himself. The name that had haunted her so many times in her waking moments, the word that had plagued her every action on Earth. Looking into his face, Kiera found her fire unmatched as she was caught in a gaze of amber fire. All the words, all the things she wanted to say lodged in her throat as she was caught in the golden glitter of eyes so inhuman.
"Make no mistake, Kiera. You're still mine; only I won't bend your will to suit my call. I will make you want it." Ramatee's voice was like thunder. Not the terrifying clap of storm clouds, but more the pleasant rolls of sound that followed lightning's glancing touch to the earth. Kiera's eyes widened and the fire inside of her was stoked higher at his arrogance, the cockiness in his voice that somehow, she would want him. 

Kiera took him in. She took in the presumptuous smile seated on a face that embodied masculinity in every word. Kiera was surprised to find him absurdly attractive- and exotically so. His amber eyes reminded her of a lion's, their gleam predatory as they bored into her. Candlelight flickered across his skin, making his eyes glow. Shadows danced on his face, accentuating his features. He was bent over to meet her gaze, his large frame almost doubled over. Long brown hair brushed against his shoulders, falling in loose waves from his scalp, framing a face that had just a brush of a fall beard clasping onto it. He withdrew from his intense staring contest with Kiera, pulling himself up to his full height. A formidable man, Kiera could easily see that he was muscled, but not overly so. He wore a tunic, a red sash drawn over his defined chest and clasped at his shoulder with a circular clasp, to hang to his waist.

But perhaps the most astonishing of his appearance had to be the two ridged horns growing from his head. 
They rose elegantly from just within his hairline, climbing to spiral back down, a graceful arch that ended in a point by his ears. They pointed at the end, twisting to an end by is ears. Although beautiful to look that, Kiera did not allow that to distract her from her thoughts.

Grabbing eye contact with him again, Kiera laced her words with as much venom and hatred as she could muster.

"I will never love you." Kiera's voice was quiet, and although she shook slightly, she met Ramatee's eyes with a willful contempt. Ramatee did not get angry, however. If anything, that twinkle of amusement in his eyes grew.

"You will learn to, Kiera." Kiera had to physically bite her tongue to stop her from mouthing off more. Whatever she thought, insulting the leader of the new world she found herself in was no way to start her first day here. Did the Abyss even have days?

"You're dismissed. You may go." Kiera questioned her decision to keep her mouth shut. The audacity of this man. Beast?
Kiera did not grace him with a verbal response. She spun on her heel, storming down the line of red carpet that had lead her to him. The room was cathedral-like and echoed her movements. The floor without carpet was the same marble chessboard design from before. Only this time, it climbed the walls, forming elegant arcs as it reached the ceiling. Reaching the door, Kiera threw one look over her shoulder. He stood where she had left him, his arms clasped regally behind his back. Kiera caught sight of the throne behind him, glowing in the flickering candle light.

Without further delay, Kiera slammed the door behind her.