Chapter 21

It seemed like Alana basically ate, slept and lived in the police station nowadays. She aided them however she could, gave facts, information; for whatever reason, there was little evidence about Kiera's existence before her infamous killing spree. She wasn't registered at any doctor's office, she had barely any personal effects- and from what Alana could remember, Kiera used to have a lot more stuff in her apartment. Her mind flashed back to the piano. There wasn't any documentation about any sales, any money hidden away. Lord knows they had ripped her apartment to shreds pulled down any posters, hanging frames, unturned the draws and dressers- basically ransacked the whole place. But standing there, standing amongst the carnage, watching the men go through her stuff, Alana couldn't help but feel like they were missing something.

 It was all too... barren.

But today wasn't about that. Pulling open the doors of her wardrobe, Alana reached into the far back to bring out the dress. In the light, it held a weight that was more than physical.

Today was Shelia's funeral. Alana had been too busy with helping the police, informing the media and being a general advocate for helping the capture of Kiera, that she had pushed her friends to the back of her mind- dead or alive. She could only imagine how Darren was feeling right now- she knew he loved her. Rebutted, but it was still love. It was probably eating him up inside, the same way Alana's guilt ate her. 

She took special effort in her appearance that morning. Her makeup was perfected, her black dress smart and appropriately styled. Reaching into the recesses on top of her wardrobe, she pulled out the black fascinator that she had last worn to her Grandma's funeral. The front had a netting that fell over her face, a veil that blocked her face from the outside world. 

***

Shelia's funeral was held in a small gothic style church. The car park was overflowing, a huge turnout for her death. Shelia had to walk a while to even reach the front door, she had to park so far away. The front door was black, framed by grey stonework. The sky was overcast, a grey that faded the colours of the earth below. Entering, the church was filled with people from Shelia's life. The biggest of the congregation was around Shelia's mother, who was loudly sobbing, surrounded by a host of supporting friends and family. The door squeaked as it closed behind her, echoed by the high arched ceilings. The hushed whispers stilled as people took note of her, before returning to their own separate conversations. Alana approached Shelia's mum, Mrs Antoine. People looked up as she drew near. She gave Mr Antoine a sympathetic smile which he returned from his place by his wife's side. He placed his hand on Alana's shoulder, a silent thank you for her presence. Mrs Antoine looked up.

"Oh, Alana. I'm so glad you came." Her voice was emotional, tears still streaming down her face. She reached up to hug her, throwing her arms around Alana's neck and sobbing quietly into her shoulder. Alana could only run her back as she breathed, heaving wracks that shook her whole body. People formed a ring around them, brows furrowed, each wearing a mask of sadness.

"It's alright, Mrs Antoine. I wouldn't have missed it for anything." At Alana's soft words, Mrs Antoine withdrew, giving her a smile whilst still holding onto her shoulders.
"It's so good to see you again Alana." Alana returned the smile, before leaving off to greet more of Shelia's friends and family around her.

***

The hearse pulled up outside, in which time people were ushered to their seats. Alana sat on the front pew, left of the table at the front. Shelia's mother and family sat on the other side of the aisle. Her parents had arranged it so her family was on one side, while her friends were on the other; but with the sheer amount of Shelia's friends, acquaintances and even teachers that had shown up to pay their respects, there were a lot of people standing at the back, all dressed in black. Next to her was Darren, Chris on his other side. Darren was in a right state- Alana even suspected he was slightly drunk. He leant on Chris slightly, his face a puffy red mess from crying. She was glad she wore the fascinator, or people might wonder why she wasn't crying. Alana glanced across the aisle. Shelia's mum was nestled into her dad's side, hands over her face as she cried. Her dad remained strong, feeling the need more to protect his grieving wife that to display his own emotions. Everyone was in a raw, fragile state. Glancing behind her, Alana could identify the various people from school. Most, she barely knew, and she was pretty sure Shelia barely knew them. It was touching they showed up, even just to pay their respects. Glancing at the back, the crowd was two rows thick with people, tapering off by the door. But out of all the people, there was one she didn't even remotely recognise. He was dressed in a navy pinstripe suit, and as her eyes trailed up to his face, she realised he was watching her, a knowing glint in his eyes and a telling smile on his lips. he was handsome, in an underrated kind of way. Attractive, but not in the way everyone took notice. His hair was slicked back, gloved hands held neatly in front of him. But then, the dirge started and Alana whipped her head back around.