Chapter Seventeen

A picture of Mitsuhide

*~*

Lina's P.O.V.:

"Ehhhhh?!? Lord Nobunaga proposed to Umeko?!?" I screamed out as Mitsuhide passed me their wedding invite.

Mitsuhide was looking for me and since it was my day off, he found me doing some window shopping again...

"Yea. Umeko begged him to leave the castle so she can invite you personally but you know Lord Nobunaga..." Mitsuhide sighed. "He told her he doesn't want her out of his sight..."

I smiled warmly at Mitsuhide.

"I'm glad that she got her happy ending..." I took the wedding invitation and Mitsuhide cleared his throat, causing me to look into his clear blue eyes..

"Hm?"

"There's something else..."

"What is it?"

"Can... Can..."

"Yea?"

"Can you... be my date for the wedding..." Mitsuhide asked as he chuckled nervously and blushed a bit. "But if you don't want to then that's fine too..."

I smiled at his nervous behaviour... It's cute to see him flustered...

"Mitsuhide, you don't need to be nervous about asking me... I'm not a princess or anything..." The moment I said that, my grandma's and Lord Kenshin's warning resounded in my head...

Well... What they don't know won't hurt them right?

"But you sure do look like one... You know like those in the legend and fairytales..."

I laughed at his compliment as he scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"Come on... It took me a lot of courage to do this you know..."

I finally stopped and nodded my head.

"Yes Mitsuhide. I don't mind going to the wedding with you... Problem is..."

"Yea?"

"I don't have a nice expensive kimono to attend a wedding like Lord Nobunaga's one... So I hope you don't get embarrassed..."

"Lina if that's the only thing then you could have told me earlier..." Mitsuhide chuckled as he grabbed my hand and pulled me into the nearest kimono store.

"Mitsuhide! What are you-..."

"Come on let's go shopping for a new kimono for you to wear okay? I'll pay for it so pick anything you want."

My eyes widened at his offer.

"No-no!" I spluttered. "I can't do that! I'm not your girlfriend or anything so it's not right of you to spend your money on me like that!"

"Well you're not my girlfriend yet but you're still my crush..." Mitsuhide whispered in my ear as he pulled back and winked at me, making me blush. "Now come on!"

I bit my lower lip in happiness as I followed the excited samurai...

*~*

"Here!" I held out a pouch of dango for Saizo and he smiled at me.

"So where's my new dango recipe?"

"Don't push it." I rolled my eyes as I turned to walk away.

"Lina."

Him saying my name made me stop in my tracks.

"Do you have a date for Lord Nobunaga's wedding? Or are you going alone?"

I turned around to face him.

"Why?"

"I want you as my date."

I sighed as I shifted my feet uncomfortably.

"I'm... I'm sorry Saizo... If you had asked earlier I would have gone with you... But... Mitsuhide asked me first..."

"Mitsuhide?? As in Akechi Jubei Minamoto-no-Mitsuhide???"

I frowned at Saizo.

"What the heck was that? Did you memorise his whole name? He's my date and even I don't know his full name."

Saizo's red eyes never wavered as he stared me down, pressing me for an answer.

I sighed as I relented.

"Yes. Mitsuhide asked me yesterday."

"Why?"

"What?"

"Why did he ask you?"

"How the hell should I know?"

"Did you just curse little lady?" Saizo grinned.

"Stop teasing me!" I huffed as I started to walk away.

"Wait!" Saizo called out as he whistled and Momofuku flew and landed on my shoulder.

"He'll see you home... It's almost sunset..."

"Saizo I already told you I'm fine..."

"What if that magistrate tries anything again huh? I'll be damned if I let Yukimura come to your rescue again. And now I have Mitsuhide to kill. So that makes it five idiots..."

"You can't go around planning people's death Saizo! Don't tell me you're going to kill Masamune and Kojuro too!"

Saizo narrowed his eyes at me.

"They too?!?"

I covered my mouth as I backed away from him.

Saizo sighed as he raked his hand through his silver spiky hair.

"What the hell will I ever do with you Lina... You make my feelings so chaotic..."

"Hey!" I protested as I removed my hand to speak. "It's not my fault they like me!"

"Nevertheless that makes it seven idiots to kill.." Saizo muttered to himself.

"Saizo are you even listening to me?!?"

"Bye little lady." Saizo turned as he grinned at me before disappearing with the wind.